• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25 29 spline disc brake coversion help.

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
I know I should be searching for this thread cause there are probably a ton of write ups but I'm bored and I'd rather ask anyway. I wanna convert my drum set up on my 99 cherokee to a disc brake. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to do this?? I heard that the ZJ set up would work but i don't know what years to look for and what modifycations need to be made. Someone please help me out with links to other threads and any advice that would help me with the conversion. Thanks to all in advance!!!! TY

99% of the time all yhou have to do with the zj swap is bore the center hole out a tiny but, and 1% of the time you have to change the wheel studs, The only tricky thing is finding a way to fix the brake lines to the tubes and making the E-brake work, or getting ZJ cables to make it painless.

Any ZJ from 95 is guarenteed to have discs, halfway through 94 the stated putting discs on.

Do yourself and the motoring public a favor, if you get a complete setup, get new calipers, pads, and ebrake hardware and turn the rotors or replace, running used brake stuff is dangerous at best and downright stupid anyway

x2 on used brake stuff all its worth is for a core, i got lucky and the calipers i got had brand new pads in them but i just used the calipers as cores

Any ZJ from 95 is guarenteed to have discs, halfway through 94 the stated putting discs on.

So I guess I should look for only a 95zj brake parts at a junk yard or could i go to the auto parts store and order all 95 zj disc brake parts.(calipers, rotors, pads, and what else am I missing?)

Tyquan said:

So I guess I should look for only a 95zj brake parts at a junk yard or could i go to the auto parts store and order all 95 zj disc brake parts.(calipers, rotors, pads, and what else am I missing?)
you need the backing plates, since thats what the caliper mounts to

backing plates and capliper brakets are both dealer only, and very expensive

twisted_ed said:
backing plates and capliper brakets are both dealer only, and very expensive
get those from a junkyard, only get the backing plates if you plan on using an emergency brake. i've done the swap, its easy and a great upgrade. there is a ton of info on here for it.

Back