• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter adapter o-ring

The Help! section at your local parts house should have the universal kit to do it. I got mine from O'Reilly's. Access to the bolt is the challenge, a box wrench fits much better than a socket and ratchet - once you start screwing the bolt out, the socket no longer fits between the engine and frame rail.

I would get the official O-rings from the jeep dealer if I were you. It only cost me six dollars and they had it in stock. Its cheap insurance knowing that you have the correct seal on it. Basically all you have to do is take the T-60 (i think) and stick it on the end of the bolt that holds it on. As was said, youll need to stick a box end wrench around the torx bit instead of putting a ratchet on it because of the space limitations. Its tight as a mother! I have to basically hook a cheater bar onto my box end wrench for it to break loose. Then you just take the bolt out, put two o-rings on the bolt, and one on the housing and put it back together.
Here's yuccamans site that helped me out. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

I don't know if the thread is the same I assume it is but you can replace that torques bolt with the one from Renix engines since it has a wrenching head I think 16mm is the size wrench I used.

On my 90 it's just a regular hex bolt, making removal a bit easier.

I had a T70 bit on mine.

I cut down a 9/16 wrench so it only had the box end on it, put a torx t70 socket through it, duct taped them together, then used a hi-lift handle for some leverage.

hex head on my 89 but when i got the o-ring kit from the dealer the middle size o-ring was the wrong size and had to get the correct size o-ring. i believe the o-ring kit for the renix is different than for the 91 and up.

Inklover17, what year? this will determine how hard the job will be because of the head of the bolt going through the mount.

Back