• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place for spare tire?

bory

NAXJA Forum User
where is the best place to put a spare tire on a roof rack or off the back on a bumper. i wheel and climb what do ppl like better. i was thinking for weight distribution factor or something.

bory said:
where is the best place to put a spare tire on a roof rack or off the back on a bumper. i wheel and climb what do ppl like better. i was thinking for weight distribution factor or something.

In the garage. if weight is you consern. Actually the best spot would be flat in the rear cargo area. But for most of us, that bring lots of stuff when we wheel and don't what to worry about moving the tire around, just mount it off the back on some sort of rear tire carrier.

I strap mine on the floor in the back cargo area. Though a 33x10.5 is the biggest tire you can do that with and still keep the back seat. Remove the back seat and you could mount a bigger tire easily.

I don't like the idea of mounting it on the back bumper, and I have been in enough off-camber situations that the idea of mounting it on the roof scares me.

I have yet to place mine on the back bumper, however I did have a decent roof rack w/a 33x12.5 on top, I loved not thinking about or smelling the tire while driving or on the trail. However like previously mentioned I hated off camber the pucker factor was stupid crazy. So I moved the 33 to the inside and it did well standing up in the back w/ a toolbox. However when I moved to the 36 It will not stand up very well, so I removed my rear lower seat and I lay it down in the center of the Jeep and It works great there, I have my tools in the back a long w/ a lunch cooler and the tire in the center, weight seems to be balanced well.
works best for me.
J

Yep, back seat is the best place, but then you have to stuff gear around it. I don't like the roof for reasons mentioned and I don't like the rear bumper cause thats alot of weight on a lever hanging off the bumper.

Weasel said:
Yep, back seat is the best place, but then you have to stuff gear around it. I don't like the roof for reasons mentioned and I don't like the rear bumper cause thats alot of weight on a lever hanging off the bumper.
thats exactly what i was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel

thats exactly what i was thinking.Quote:

Then there's no pleasing you.
Drag it behind your fawkin jeep with a rope and you'll be safe from rolling.

i got my 31 mounted inside in the stock location. i left the stock black metal ledge in there and used a ratchet strap where the threaded rod used to be. it fits fine.

I cut my backseat in half and put my 35 standing up, right behind the driver's seat...You can drag it out the back or out the 'window'...The weight distribution is good, visability is good, and still have all storage capacity behind seat (on top/side of my raised tank)...

7962acd0.jpg

Someone on this board several months ago found the perfect place for your spare. He said to put it on your BUDDYS Jeep!! :kissyou:

here is a twist, can a tire be stored flat in the factory mount? I know that VW Torag keeps the spare flat under the rear floor but it isn't sitting on a mount. Will this damage my spare?

31x10.5 MTR

Ive hearod of a 32 being fit in the stock carrier befire. I have a rack with the tire on it on the roof. If I were to do it again I would to a rear tire carrier. If it were a dedicated trail rig with noting in the back i woulde build a prerunner style tire carrier

I am looking at this this right now.
I am thinking I will run a 235x85x16 tyre which is the exact same height to save some room as my 265x75x16's. I have never even run my current spare in my life as always plug any flat rather than change it while on my trips and never had a flat while home without my repair kit. But you never know.
I still want to carry it inside so have a few options. I might store it deflated in the stock location and buy a cheap compressor to keep with me at all times or install my good one permanently behind the inner panel where the fuel filler is. Another thought is to tilt the seat further forward, as rarely carry rear seat passengers now anyway, to fit it in inflated and fit the retaining brackets forward to hold the seat in place. The last is to just lay it flat on the floor and make a low false floor over it. This will get in the way a bit when carrying things with the seat down though and the fridge would be harder to use when away and would have to put it on a slide just so the lid can go up high enough to get things out when camping.

jeep-man-man said:
I cut my backseat in half and put my 35 standing up, right behind the driver's seat...You can drag it out the back or out the 'window'...The weight distribution is good, visability is good, and still have all storage capacity behind seat (on top/side of my raised tank)...

7962acd0.jpg
Ok, we know where you keep the spare tire.....
What about the spare rim?

:spin1:

Back