• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start PLEASE HELP

bcredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 i6 with a aw4 that will not start it won't crank at all I have power. every thing works fuel pump ,lights,gages but I can't get this thing to crank I have checked the fuses and relays and they all seem to be working any sugetions would be appriciated thanks

stick a screw driver across the terminals on the top of the starter cylinoid carefully make sure its in park or out of gear. poss. causes if the engine cranks: igniton switch or neutral safety switch those are the two must likely failures. try moving the gear shift arround and try to start it.(it will only start in N or P) if the starter does not crank and there is power to it the starter is proly bad, to make sure have a friend try to start it while you smack it with a hammer if the starter is indeed bad it will proly try to start while you are hitting it. good luck

Definitely try to start in neutral or while wiggling the shift lever. If it cranks over and starts this way, your problem is your neutral safety switch.

Other suggestions....Pull battery cables. Clean cables and battery posts. Load test your battery to be sure you're not chasing your tail when your battery up and died; it happens. You have to verify your electrical is up to snuff first. If battery is good and connections are good, then take a meter and check for approx 12 volts directly at the starter with the key in the ON position. If it isn't there, then you need to work your way back into the engine bay.

After dirty or loose connections (battery, ground or whatever), starter brushes are the next most likely failure, then the neutral safety switch, then starter relay or the solenoid wiring.
The starter needs a little spin to seat the solenoid all the way, you may not even get a noticeable click (from the solenoid) if the brushes are making bad contact and the starter isn't spinning up.

Back