• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 cherokee engine problems

XJ[4x4]77

NAXJA Forum User
so just recently my 89 cherokee that previously ran perfect now runs like shit. i have spark i have fuel and i have plenty of air. It runs horrible and has serious power loss. i could not even make it up the small hill in my driveway. it bogs out when you give it gas and will not accelerate worth squat. no weird noises though. HELP ME!

any help is greatly appreciated as tomorrow is a big new years 4x4 event and i am expected to show.

could this be a slipped timing chain?

well i thought that so i cut it off. [not a road rig] i live outside of the deq boundaries so i dont have restrictions. but its not the cat. tomorrow i am going to replace the fuel filter and try that

Renix is a term given to the "computer" controlled system. A cross between Renault and Bendix.

Sort of like OBD1 and OBD2, just less intricate....Renix came before OBD1, as OBD1 came before OBD2.

OBD1 and OBD2 do not have adjustable throttle positioning sensors, where as the ones for Renix are adjustable and have to be adjusted just-so.

You do need an analog multimeter to adjust the TPS. I am not really sure what kind of adjustment you are shooting for, hopefully somebody more informed on this subject will chime in.

Maybe this will be helpful. Apparently a digital multimeter will work too.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm

Lot of possible gremlins. Bad CPS, loss of vacuum to MAP sensor, bad ground, bad TPS, bad battery contacts, low fuel pump pressure, low spark voltage, or real engine problems.

My votes are for CPS and TPS. I had my CPS do the same thing to me after I replaced the flexplate (POS jack dopped overnight causing bellhousing to come up and force the CPS into the jeep)

I vote TPS and or alternator/battery. Check your battery and charge it over night, if she runs fine for ten minutes after a full charge and then bogs down again...somethings wrong in the charging department, if that does nothing...atleast you've eliminated that possible cause. TPS is also good to have as a spare as it commonly goes out, so might look into swapping that just for giggles since it's a cheap/easy fix.

~Scott

I vote TPS and or alternator/battery. Check your battery and charge it over night, if she runs fine for ten minutes after a full charge and then bogs down again...somethings wrong in the charging department, if that does nothing...atleast you've eliminated that possible cause. TPS is also good to have as a spare as it commonly goes out, so might look into swapping that just for giggles since it's a cheap/easy fix.

~Scott

yeah, I took mine off one time and fiddled with it (I was having some other problem) and it ended up coming apart - the one for a manual RENIX is pricey at 100-150 bucks and at the time it was on backorder through almost all suppliers (i worked in auto parts at the time) I finally got it through car quest ... THEN I found out you can actually use the one for an auto and just not use the "extra" plug that hangs off it - wish I would have know that and saved alot of money

Back