• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Removal- Binding ?

mn96sport

NAXJA Forum User
96 sport, 5 sp manual, 4.0L. Finally removed all 6 bellhousing bolts ,but temps dropped below zero (including my garage) so I took a break for a week, but now it's warmed up. (relatively..it's in the 20's. :looney: )

Problem: Can't disengage the transmission from the engine. I've moved the bellhousing-transmission assembly about 1" from the engine, but can't get it fully disengaged. Is this just an alignment and binding issue, or is it possibly something else ? Everything externally else is disconnected. Could the throw out bearing be creating some sort of bind ?

I've got a floor jack under the transmission with a homemade cradle. There's jack stand and bottle jack under the oil pan for stability and adjustment. The front end is on a set of ramps so everything is slanted down and towards the rear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Binding shouldn't be a issue as long as the distance from the top of the bell to the bottom is the same..

Just give it a yank!

Mine slid out after taking all the bolts out.
Just to be sure, is the shifter disconnected, transfer case linkage, trans breather and all wires disconnected?
If everything is disconnected try lowering the rear of the engine to make sure the bell housing is not hitting the trans hump.
There are also two small screws that bolt the dust shield to the bell housing from the front of the vehicle facing back. I forgot to pull one of those and it held me up for a while when I was doing mine.

My torx are out (see my thread on that blood bath), along with everything else unhooked, and everything is tilted down pretty good

I'm just gonna get some better leverage and give it a good pull.

you said that the trans/bell housing is back from the engine block, can you get a look in there and see if somehow the throwout bearing is causing you grief? or maybe stick a mirror in the hole where the starter or slave cyl goes?

If all the bolts and wires are out and its clearing the body, then the only other thing it can be is if the input shaft is seized in the clutch disk or bound up somehow.

I can't see anything real obvious inside the bell housing (though the view is limited). I've been pulling/jerking real hard but no more movement other than the original inch or so of separation.

I've attached a 2 ton come-along from the back of the transmission to the rear axle. I've pulled in the slack and started to tension it with no movement, but before I continue....ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE ?:flame:

Yes...all 6 mounting bolts are clear, starter's off, linkages off, and everything else is unattached.

Check for a bolt going into the bell housing from the front over near the oil dipstick. I think it had a bunch of ground wires under it. I had the same problem with my 89, even trying the come along, before I found this little bugger.

I hear you on the cold hampering your ability to work outside on the Jeep. It finally got up into the 20's today and I've unburied my MJ from about 4-ft of snow. Now I get to figure out why it won't start.

Triple check EVERYTHING and then yank on it, my 88 was kinda stuck in too, wiggle it alil as your pulling should help do dislodge it.

I nominate myself for a mechanical Darwin Award.

Finally got the transmission off. The reason it was "stuck" ? I FORGOT A BOLT !!!! You betcha I quadrupled checked it. Missed one of the small ones from the clutch housing to the bellhousing shield...as previously suggested to check. Did find out it was no match for a 2 ton come along...ripped a nice chunk out of the 1/8" shield... no other damage.

Final insult ? When I told my wife I had finally gotten the trans off, she asked, "What was the problem?" I told her, "Stupidity". When she asked, "What does that mean ?" My response, "Missed a bolt". Her response," Didn't I tell you to check that ? " Arrrgh !:scottm:

Back