• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Buzzing cold

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ 4x4 with an AW-4 transmission. I am experienced at a cold start buzzing sound coming from the transmission and then it seems to go away once warmed up enough. The transmission has a shift kit in it the hot rod setting. I have the same valve body in a different transmission and had no problems with that. The transmission works fine however once in awhile when on the highway at higher speed it almost seems like the shifting does not get as hard and it's kind of very soft like almost slipping and when the converter clutch kicks in sometimes it doesn't seem like kicks in and the engine will overrun. I'm wondering if this is a sign of either of the pump seals going wrong from the transmission I installed that was supposedly rebuilt. I can't think of anything else that would cause this issue because the valve body was inside of another transmission that work flawlessly I'm wondering if the pump is bad like I stated.

Back