• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this the CTS?

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
Was just poking around looking for more fun projects on the jeep and ran into this little guy that was unplugged. I put it on (with the indent on the connector side) facing away and started it up no problems, it also seemed to warm up a bit faster. Is this the CTS, and would it help it run a little better? Also is that connected the right way?

I dont know what that uncovered wire is btw, it was coming out of the harness but didn't lead to anything. The "mystery sensor" also didn't have a plastic cover unless it broke off who knows how long ago, I just put the connector onto the prongs, if I have it hooked up right I'll clean everything off right.

cts.jpg

Thanks in advance, you guys have been nothing but a huge help!

x2, It's the knock (AKA anti-detonation) sensor. I broke mine 2 years ago. The CTS is hiding behind the motor mount. That's the other harness in the pic.

o...so can you tell if its plugged on the right way and how it being unplugged would make a difference? Trying to iron out every thing on this car and I'm guessing this is somewhat important :p

hard to tell if it's plugged correctly-- see if you can take a pic without the plug on it and we'll see.

As for it being "somewhat important"-- unless you're experiencing detonation (knocking and pinging) it's not necessary. It functions as a vibration sensor that senses pre-ignition (knock/ vibration) and tells the ECU to retard timing until the knocking stops. No knock, no need for it.

Can't take a pic right now, but if the left of the pic is towards the front of the car, the prongs are on that side of the sensor, if that helps (probably not though). And on the other side of the connector there is a cutout in the plastic. The female ends are offset so that the whole connector is sitting over the sensor so I figured its on right.

It only fits on one way normally. Since the plastic's all gone it may be hard to tell. They are expensive to replace for such a small thing so lot's of people simply trash them when they do. If the engine starts "knocking" (detonation), the ECU will retard the timing until it stops.

I just checked it and its fine, its just crap built up on it. The real problem is when I changed my shocks yesterday one of the bolts snapped and I just tightened one down hoping since its just resting on the shock i'd be fine. wrong, its starting to wiggle out of place, I dont knwo how I'll get that SOB out

Back