• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New laws for CA

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Following is an abbreviated summary of the new laws that will take effect Jan. 1, 2009, unless indicated otherwise. A more comprehensive list appears on the DMV Web site at www.dmv.ca.gov.

1) CONSUMER PROTECTION

*Unlicensed Car Dealers (AB 2042/Fuentes) This new law allows law enforcement officers to impound vehicles that are being sold by unlicensed dealers.

*Counterfeit Clean Air Stickers (SB 1720/Lowenthal) This new law will make it a crime to forge, counterfeit, or falsify a Clean Air Sticker. These stickers are currently issued by DMV to certain low emission vehicles and permit vehicles with these stickers to be driven in the HOV lane.

2) TRAFFIC SAFETY

*Text Messaging (SB 28/Simitian) This new law makes it an infraction to write, send, or read text-based communication on an electronic wireless communication device, such as a cell phone, while driving.

*DUI Probation License Suspension (AB 1165 Maze) A change in the driving under the influence (DUI) law creates a new authority for DMV to administratively suspend the driver’s license for one year under a zero tolerance standard. The new law authorizes law enforcement to issue a notice of suspension and impound the vehicle of a person who is driving with a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 percent or greater while on court-ordered post-DUI probation.

3) AIR QUALITY

*Temporary Operating Permits (AB2241/Saldana) This law restricts DMV from issuing temporary operating permits to allow more time to obtain a smog certificate as part of the registration renewal process. Under the law, extensions will cost $50 and are only allowed if the vehicle has been tested at a smog station and failed. The extension can be for no more than 60 days from the date registration is due. The $50 fee will be waived for owners accepted into the Bureau of Automotive Repair Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).

*San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Fee (AB 2522/Arambula) In an effort to fund programs to reduce vehicle emissions, vehicle owners who register their vehicles in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, and Tulare Counties and Valley portions of Kern County will be assessed an air quality fee of $6.

4) OTHER

*New Special Interest Plate (SB 1455/Cogdill) A new “Gold Star Family” special interest license will be available to family members of individuals killed in the line of duty while serving in the Armed Forces during wartime or military operations.

*Motorcycle Definition (AB 2272/Fuentes) This new law changes the definition of a motorcycle, deleting the existing weight limitation of 1500 pounds. It also removes a separate definition for electrically-powered vehicles. This change in law will also allow drivers of fully-enclosed 3-wheeled motor vehicles to use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.

San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Fee (AB 2522/Arambula) In an effort to fund programs to reduce vehicle emissions, vehicle owners who register their vehicles in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, and Tulare Counties and Valley portions of Kern County will be assessed an air quality fee of $6.
I don't live in any of those counties, but it smells like :bsflag:to me. How the hell will charging people an extra $6 help make the air cleaner?

I don't live in any of those counties, but it smells like :bsflag:to me. How the hell will charging people an extra $6 help make the air cleaner?

*San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Fee (AB 2522/Arambula) In an effort to fund programs to reduce vehicle emissions, vehicle owners who register their vehicles in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, and Tulare Counties and Valley portions of Kern County will be assessed an air quality fee of $6.

That $50 fee for the reg extension blows. that already ups the cost to get your vehicle registered by almost $50 should it fail. example it cost me $50 to smog my jeep this year, if it would have failed I'd of had to pay the $50 fee for the extension on top of the retest fees and or repairs. Guess from now on I'll be getting the test asap just in case it doesnt pass just to give myself time to get it right before the registration is due.

basically it is a incentive to keep your vehicle in better shape, pass smog or pay a extra fee to get the time needed to repair. Hell I know a few people at my work who use the temp permit year around because they wont fix the junk they drive

thanks for posting.
i tend to stop reading long legal paragraphs like that, so you cutting it up into small bite size peices helps.

Following is an abbreviated summary of the new laws that will take effect Jan. 1, 2009, unless indicated otherwise. A more comprehensive list appears on the DMV Web site at www.dmv.ca.gov.

1) CONSUMER PROTECTION

*Unlicensed Car Dealers (AB 2042/Fuentes) This new law allows law enforcement officers to impound vehicles that are being sold by unlicensed dealers.

What, precisely, is an "unlicensed dealer?" What about the guy that buys vehicles, fixes/cleans them up, and sells them out as a hobby? How many vehicles per week/month/year are permitted?

*Counterfeit Clean Air Stickers (SB 1720/Lowenthal) This new law will make it a crime to forge, counterfeit, or falsify a Clean Air Sticker. These stickers are currently issued by DMV to certain low emission vehicles and permit vehicles with these stickers to be driven in the HOV lane.

Wrong approach to the problem - just get rid of HOV lanes. Why restrict a lane on the freeway just when it's needed most? If the idea had caught on, it would have done so by now - and as more offices move to "flextime," carpooling is going to get leaner and leaner (and don't get me started on roads service guys who are just about guaranteed to spend two hours a day idling because of HOV lanes...)

2) TRAFFIC SAFETY

*Text Messaging (SB 28/Simitian) This new law makes it an infraction to write, send, or read text-based communication on an electronic wireless communication device, such as a cell phone, while driving.

Penalty? Probably not harsh enough - similar to the DWY (Driving While Yapping) law passed recently.

*DUI Probation License Suspension (AB 1165 Maze) A change in the driving under the influence (DUI) law creates a new authority for DMV to administratively suspend the driver’s license for one year under a zero tolerance standard. The new law authorizes law enforcement to issue a notice of suspension and impound the vehicle of a person who is driving with a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 percent or greater while on court-ordered post-DUI probation.

This seems a step in the right direction.

3) AIR QUALITY

*Temporary Operating Permits (AB2241/Saldana) This law restricts DMV from issuing temporary operating permits to allow more time to obtain a smog certificate as part of the registration renewal process. Under the law, extensions will cost $50 and are only allowed if the vehicle has been tested at a smog station and failed. The extension can be for no more than 60 days from the date registration is due. The $50 fee will be waived for owners accepted into the Bureau of Automotive Repair Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).

OK - you delay getting your smog because you can't afford to, for whatever reason. You fail because of repairs you didn't know needed to be made. Now, they're going to hit you for another fifty bones, another smog, and you still have to pay the reg? How about a reduction in the cost of the smog to make this hurt a bit less?

This does what, specifically? Is it funding the "Vehicle Retirement Programme?" How about Congresscritters giving themselves a pay decrease - that should not only help fund the VRP, but it could help fund a few other programmes as well!

4) OTHER

*New Special Interest Plate (SB 1455/Cogdill) A new “Gold Star Family” special interest license will be available to family members of individuals killed in the line of duty while serving in the Armed Forces during wartime or military operations.

I like this - I'll like it more if I find out they don't charge extra for it. Call me cranky, but military/public service SI plates should not cost extra. Hell, they should be free or damned close to it!

*Motorcycle Definition (AB 2272/Fuentes) This new law changes the definition of a motorcycle, deleting the existing weight limitation of 1500 pounds. It also removes a separate definition for electrically-powered vehicles. This change in law will also allow drivers of fully-enclosed 3-wheeled motor vehicles to use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.

Any particular reason for this one, apart from the new HOV exemption (see my comment above?) Seems silly to me, and something done "just to show we're doing something."

Last edited:
they need to cut the HOV bullshit, i agree.
call it what it is, a high speed lane frequented by busses and trucks that shouldnt be there in the firstplace.

basically it is a incentive to keep your vehicle in better shape, pass smog or pay a extra fee to get the time needed to repair. Hell I know a few people at my work who use the temp permit year around because they wont fix the junk they drive
Sounds like it'd be cheaper to non-op the vehicle ($36) while working to get it fixed if you have another vehicle to drive and can do the work at home.

This one makes me laugh. All the smog from the Bay Area blows into these Central Vally areas. Granted most of them Central Valley commuters clog the 580 freeway right by my house every morning and evening, but seriously what good will this do for the air quality? Building a BART extension all the way to Tracy is the only thing going to help at all.

That $50 fee for the reg extension blows. that already ups the cost to get your vehicle registered by almost $50 should it fail. example it cost me $50 to smog my jeep this year, if it would have failed I'd of had to pay the $50 fee for the extension on top of the retest fees and or repairs. Guess from now on I'll be getting the test asap just in case it doesnt pass just to give myself time to get it right before the registration is due.
Drive anyways, just get the registration before court for the ticket you may get for driving W/O tags.

Back