• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Bolts Came Loose!!!

silver_s13

NAXJA Forum User
My 86 2.5L Automatic 4x4 Cherokee is down due to tranny problems. It started leaking like crazy at the front pump seal. Tore it down today and 2 of the 4 converter bolts weren't even hand tight. This probably wouldn't have been as big a problem had the tight bolts been across from each other instead of right next to each other. I assume the wobbling of the converter at highway speeds is what took the seal out. I have read on some Mopar sites (904 tranny) that a faulty harmonic balancer can cause this so I'll be replacing it as well. This would explain a lot of phantom noises I had been hearing.
I got the tranny and t-case out and have discovered a few problems. The transfer case grinds during rotation and sounds as if one of the planetary gears(just guessing) have come loose and at a certain point in each rotation you can here something hit the case. I am fairly sure I can fix the t-case. However I don't know anything about automatics so here's a question for you guys. The input shaft on my A904, seems to me, has a lot of play in it. I have a 350 turbo to compare it to (apples and oranges) and the Chevy tranny has 0 shaft play. I will include some pics in a bit. The shaft play is up,down and side to side.Is this normal for a 904 tranny? I really wish I could swap a diiferent tranny into this but I am not sure that's possible. I would really like to put one of the four speed autos behind my four cylinder. Anyone have any experience or info about this swap? There isn't much 904 tranny info on here so I had to ask.

12-24-08_2230.jpg

12-24-08_2231.jpg

I tore the transfer case apart this weekend and found the problem with it. Someone had previously taken it apart for whatever reason and during the reassembly process, failed to reinstall the planetary gear retaining snap ring. It had come loose and stuck on one of the shift forks which caused it to come dislodged from the shift mechanism. This would explain all the grinding and popping. Cleaned everything up and lined everything back up and put it back together. Now it's smooth as butter. No more grinding, or popping and it actually shifts into and out of gear. The shaft play on the tranny is supposedly normal so after cleaning it and the cross member up at the car wash, I'll put new seals and tranny cooler line fittings on it and hopefully be back on the road. I didn't think of it before but I assume the torque converter bolts hitting the block would have caused the knock sensor to signal to the computer to retard the timing. This would somewhat explain the poor mileage I had been experiencing prior to the tear down. Maybe I'll even get a little more power from the little 4 cylinder that couldn't!

Back