• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piston Ring Gap?

cmcbscw

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am in the middle of rebuilding a stock 1992 4.0L HO by honing and reringing but I can't find anywhere about what the piston rings are supposed to be gapped at? I tried looking at lots of past threads but with no luck.

Anyone know these specs? Thanks for any help you guys may be able to give!

. Properly fitting piston rings into the block is a complex process that requires consistent measuring between all cylinders. It is a measured gap, but a certain feel is needed to get that gap right. I use a feeler gauge with three sizes out (in this case, 0.020-, 0.021- and 0.022-inch sizes) and with the ring square in the bore. I try to slide the appropriate feeler gauge into the gap starting at the inside of the ring. If it doesn’t fit, I go down in size until one does. I consider a gap size true when the appropriate feeler gauge drags slightly going in and out of the gap and when the gap is tight enough that once the gauge is in the gap, the tension will just barely hold the entire feeler gauge in place.

depends on how you want to go, but I wouldnt go any tighter than .016, total seal makes the best rings in my opinion, just take your time and dont break them putting them in and out of the cylinders. Check each cylinder and put them to the correct gap for each cylinder and label them. like the above post says. I would say .020 is a good gap for a rebuild. If you need anymore advise, PM me, I have built many engines

Thanks for your help! That definitely sheds some light. You would think that Chiltons or Haynes would have this info aside from having to buy the really expensive repair maunals from Jeep. This helps a lot and will give me the right guide to go off of. Thanks again!

Back