• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do they shutdown roads in SoCal?

djblade311

NAXJA Member # 1474
NAXJA Member
When it snows....it seems really ridiculous to me that they shutdown the freeways and roads when it snows a little. Where I'm from in Illinois, they dont even shutdown the roads with 2ft of snow plus on the road at 10 below wind chill factor. When its 3 foot or pure ice, then they might start shutting down roads. Is it because SoCal drivers are that horrible in snow?

So.Cal driver suck for the most part...

THey see rain and freak out.

I couldnt even count the # of women I see on the road talking on cell phones when its POURING rain...

idiots.

YUP... pretty crazy if you ask me... people just don't slow down.. they are in too big of a hurry to add a few extra minutes to their route and they crash.

People all over the country see our news and just laugh...

JOe

People don't know how to drive in the snow in so cal.

well, i guess the CHP wants to really protect people from themselves. I too am completely amazed on a daily basis how stupid some people are. Yapping on cell phones, knitting a freaking sweater (true story), blarg blarg.

A long time ago I started composing a list of signs that you are driving in CA:
http://nicandjosh.com/article127.html

Need to update it

1. SoCal doesn’t have any snow equipment (i.e. plows or salt trucks). 2. It doesn’t snow enough to cause a big enough impact in the long run. 3. Chains aren’t required so either the road is passable by the worst drivers in the least capable vehicles, or its closed. 4. SoCal drivers are scary as hell in snow… look at California accident reports from this weekend. Its probably higher than the entire east coast combined.

I have a job that requires me to pull a trailer around town, the person I work for knows that if we get even a light dusting of snow in this town (only snows every 25 years) there is no way in hell you would see me out on the roads until it was all melted. Rain is bad enough. Hey its raining for the first time in 8 months and all the oil is coming to the surface of the roads, lets still go 80 mph on the freeway and 65 around town! Oh and be sure that your head lights aren’t on, because if they were people might actually be able to see you!
I’ve seen it snow here once and 4” of snow crippled the entire town of 350,000 for 2 days.

Personally im glad I live where it doesnt snow. If I wanna see snow or go snow wheel'en Ill drive my butt to the snow. Personally I dont mind when its 85* on x-mas.

Some areas do have snow equpiment, the area's where is snow's every year.

My grandpa lives in guatay and everyyear when it snow's they plow the roads.

No salting, just plows...

any many of the mountain area's during hte storms require chains till they clear the roads.

I usually have to pick up my fiance' and drive her to her house after work during the winter storms.

1. SoCal doesn’t have any snow equipment (i.e. plows or salt trucks).

i've seen the weirdest things while driving

once i saw a guy jerking it...no joke
i saw a guy taking hits off a bong while driving...quite stunning to be honest
i've seen people asleep at lights

crazy stuff...lol

i've seen the weirdest things while driving

once i saw a guy jerking it...no joke
i saw a guy taking hits off a bong while driving...quite stunning to be honest
i've seen people asleep at lights

crazy stuff...lol

I am not a truck driver but I drive over 50k a year for my job but that is nothing. Driving long distances you see some crazy shit that I cannot ellaborate here.

Last night I was taking my gf home, and this jackass in a 2500 hd 2wd chevy comes blasting by me in a turn lane (from placentia turning left onto imperial) and there is two turn lanes, he hammers the gas and the backend goes out on him and he loops it going over into the other side of traffic... Now there was hardly no cars, because it was like 12 midnigh. but i understand the idea, that light is so unpredictable, sometimes its green for minits, other times as your driving up to it it goes yellow... When its dry and its 12 i do the same thing hall ass to the light to catch it but in the rain? even in full time? no thanks...

peace
ted

ps all you can do is watch your ass and drive defencively. Watch your mirrors, try to watch for people doing stupid shit, and dont drive in the right hand lanes due to road crown, cause thats where the water is... oh and slow the fuck down...

I was in Ottawa Canada last week. The canadian's hardly even plow the streets.
Thank god I followed a 4 wheel drive vehicle to the airport that morning, because I would have never made it through a couple of snow drifts in that little sentra. As it was it took me nearly 20 minutes to get out of my parking spot at the hotel.

I was in Ottawa Canada last week. The canadian's hardly even plow the streets.
Thank god I followed a 4 wheel drive vehicle to the airport that morning, because I would have never made it through a couple of snow drifts in that little sentra. As it was it took me nearly 20 minutes to get out of my parking spot at the hotel.

jeeeeeeeez

yea my parents make a point of renting a 4wd SUV when we go back to minnesota in the winter time...its the only way to get to my grandmas house, we rented a taurus once and it got high centered :eek:

Back