• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump leak????

Mopar500

NAXJA Forum User
92 4.0

I know this is a De-De-De question, but I am kind of new to wrenching. Forgive me.

When I came back to my XJ in a parking lot, there was a constant drip of antifreeze coming from the front of the block, off the crankshaft pulley. I instantly thought it was the water pump.

I took it home for a better look and it had stopped dripping. I was parked pointing slightly uphill so I was wondering if that had an effect. Does the antifreeze drain backward into the block?

The lower hose appears dry, so it's not that.
The overflow tank is just below the add mark. Is that low enough to conceivably stop the leak?

I thought if it was the pump it would always leak, regardless of incline, because there is always liquid inside, right?

Thanks!

carefully with a flashlight look all over your entire cooling system. from the radiator along the hose to the thermostat, and from the water pump back to the radiator and all around the radiator. somewhere you will see a tale tale sign of coolant leaking. it will either show as fresh coolant, or like a dried up fluid trail. and look under the waterpump at the weep hole too.

Back