• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's it worth

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
A guy is selling a Comanche. Don't remember what year. It has a custom shop done long arm lift, newer 35s and rims, 35" spare, Detroit locked rear with 4.88s. He wants $4500.
The bad:
-Salvage title (theft recovery, screwed up the headliner and seat, joyriding from what he said),
-Needs some body work (tailgate is dented, bed should be rhinolined, paint is all faded, normal old Jeep stuff)
-D35 rear with 35s, ehh
He wants to trade for my '98 Jeep Cherokee if I give him money too, and I think my Jeep is worth more.
My Jeep has a reman. engine with about 80k on it now, new alt, starter, all fluids just changed, A/C just redone, RE 3.5" kit with about 2" more of lift on it, cat-back exhaust, 180* stat put in, paint is pretty good, about 1 small ding in the passenger rear door. Seats aren't ripped, leather is still good. It isn't hacked up or anything, everything works fine.
IM000383.jpg

What do you guys think? First he says he's negotiable on price, now that there is a hint of a trade, he wants me to give him my Jeep and money. I know his lift is better than mine, but I seem to think mine is better in other ways.

The question is.... Deal or... No Deal?...

No Deal, No deal!!!

your jeep is in way better shape he should be giving YOU the cash. you came to my bday thing at the park right? that thing is clean as hell. manches are nice, but nit $4500 nice in the shape you are talking about, especially rolling 35s on a locked d35. :dunno:

your jeep is in way better shape he should be giving YOU the cash. you came to my bday thing at the park right? that thing is clean as hell. manches are nice, but nit $4500 nice in the shape you are talking about, especially rolling 35s on a locked d35. :dunno:

x2. I would take that extra cash he wants put it into your rig and have a just as nice if not nicer whip/ride/rig/car....

That's what I was thinking, it's hard for me because I know people want more money for Comanches than Cherokees but I know mine is nicer, and probably 10 years newer. He kinda came off like his Jeep should be worth a ton.
I know mine needs a little TLC but everything on my Jeep is good to go, right now it just needs fender flares and carpet cleaned.
He did like to see no carpet though, he complemented the floors since they have no rust and look new.

Yeah, 30/35 combo. I was hoping he would have the 44 but he does not.
I wouldn't want the 35 in there. The lift is nice but still, there are a lot of bad sides to the truck.

Last edited:
Yeah, 30/35 combo. I was hoping he would have the 44 but he does not.
I wouldn't want the 35 in there. The lift is nice but still, there are a lot of bad sides to the truck.
exactly. you could sell your jeep for $4000 and buy a comanche and fix it up to just about where his is with the money. he's just trying to get what he put into it, which will never happen.

the rule of buying things is if you have to ask yourself if its a good idea or not, its probably not.

I'm starting to wonder how much mine is worth. I know mine isn't anything crazy, and I know that lifts really don't make a truck worth much more. However there is a difference between a homebrew budget lift and a good lift.

However there is a difference between a homebrew budget lift and a good lift.
only to someone who knows what they are looking at... which is not who you want to sell your vehicle to, because they will have a much different idea of what its worth :D

if you put the flares back on and got the carpet sorted out i'd bet you could get at least 4K for your XJ, if you were willing to have it up for sale for awhile.... and sell it to someone who just thinks it "looks cool" :D

The "shop done" lift would have to pass a very rigorous inspection for me to even consider this one. It may look great but if it's done with inferior materials (conduit.....don't laugh, I've heard of this being done) then it's worthless. If the front suspension does not have the right geometry there could be drivability problems. I suggest looking elsewhere for a good 'manche.

If any of you would like to look at it, it's in La Mesa at the Big O Tires at 7589 El Cajon Blvd. It's red, I'm sure you can't miss it.

On a side note, I'd rather trade my Jeep simply because I don't have any money for another car and I don't want to be stuck without a car.

Back