• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Interchangeability

Should be doable - the only differences I've heard of are on the 1999/2000-2001XJ (I believe it's "clocked" a bit differently and the terminal placement is different, but I'll have to find that pic someone sent me...)

The ZJ alternator should be a direct fit. You might also want to consider the Durango alternator (136A) or check out San Jose Generator (on my site,) for other options. I'm assuming you're talking about a junkyard swap, and I've always been a little leery of something I get at a junkyard that I don't plan to rebuild before use... I'm just cranky that way (how do I know that the part I'm getting isn't what put it in the 'yard to begin with?)

5-90

The XJ and ZJ are a buddy of mine's. The ZJ was his parents' and they just kinda let it sit. His went out and was just wondering if it would work. Thanks!

Also, any wiring differences?

If I'm not mistaken the 90' model had the delco alternator which was internally regulated and the 93' 5.2l would have used the denso unit which was regulated by the computer. Is this right??? If so, inorder to use the denso unit you will have to buy an external regulator from napa or somewhere which souldn't be that big of an issue. I would also upgrade the lead coming off of the alternator or swap in the leads from the grand.

D'oh! Yeah, I missed that!

No, it will not work - the ND units that ChryCo used are externally regulated by the PCM, and the Delco units that AMC used are internally regulated. You can probably add a ChryCo standard regulator to make the ND unit work, but it's more trouble than the damn thing's worth. Delco units are better anyhow, in my experience (that's why they're used on industrial equipment...)

You can probably get a Delco CS-series from any 1980's/1990's model Chevvy/Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Caddy/GMC without too much trouble, or just order one - they're easy to find. The Delco is also typically used as the basis for "one-wire" or "self-exciting" units, and most hot-rodders use Delcos (either one-wire or not) because they're reliable and feature good power density (I used to put them on Fords and Dodges - especially street/strip cars. "Power Density" means "fewer ounces per amp generated" - and as any racer knows, if it's not helping you go faster, it's slowing you down.)

As far as me goes, I'd stick to the Delcos. They're better and cheaper, and easier to find. Rod does Delcos as well, if you want to check his work out (I've got a few of his "specials" done as a personal favour - 160A-180A at full output, depening upon which unit we're talking about...)

5-90

so will a 04 dodge 136 amp alt work on a 98 xj with the 4l? or did i miss something in this thread. just curious, my alt is starting to die and id like to upgrade if i can without buyin a mean green.

It should.

Also, if you are interested in upgrades, check out my site and click the San Jose Generator link. It's the shop I use for high-power and high-endurance stuff, and I talked him into doing mail-order a few months back.

Others have ordered from him here as well and have had good results (I haven't gotten a bad part from him yet!) and at least you're going to be dealing directly with the man who does the building and testing...

5-90

RenegadeStang said:
Just wondering what modifications (if any) need to be done to install an alternator from a '93 Grand Wagoneer (5.2L) into a '90 XJ (4.0L). Or, can it even be done?

As stated above the 90 4l Renix uses a Delco-Remy CS-130 100A w/ internal regulator. There are many shops that can/will modify this unit to pump out more juice (170A is the highest I've seen) for a moderate price. Since GM is good for parts interchangeability I have also learned that the larger CS-144 has the same mounting points as the smaller CS-130. The CS-144 is rumored to have as much as an 80-100A output at idle (depending on idle rpm's)and up to 140A stock, these can be had in the 170A up to 250A flavors. The 144 is GM's high amperage upgrade to the CS-130, the connectors even match. The only problem is the 130's bigger brother is just that, BIG. Eyeballing my 90 shows about 1" of clearance from the frame. As soon as I get my hands on one I'll promptly find out.

The 144's wound to 170A are about ~$220 no core charge and some units have a welding kit addition for onboard welder right off your Alt! :viking:

so now that many years have passed...Bump
so i was trying to find a direct bolt in for my 89 4.0 renix and the jy and googled what would work.
alot of options out there.
as soon as i got to the jy i grabbed an alternator out of a 4.0 (89)renix era xj and began my quest to find some vehicles that are on the interchangeability list. alot of walking and not much luck with the vehicles needed(for a 130+ amp) i did however come across a 92 buick roadmaster that had a cs-130(100amp) alt.
i compared the heck out of the 2 while also using my phone/internet for spec. the buick alt looked to be somewhat new and still had the sticker with the part number on it(7991611). i put the xj alt in the location of the buick alt and it looks identical and all bolt holes,connector,and the clocking matched.
so $33 later and now i have to install to make absolute sure it works. will post an update after this weekend. would also be cool if the mods or anybody for that matter could post a thread with what works/bolts in for the renix instead of trying to search and only getting pieces.
5-90 i am still planning to send of this new alt (if it works out) up to your alt guy for some more amps/windings i just needed something for now. and i did do your wire upgrades for my renix(before anybody trys to scould me).

Last edited:
update. i couldn't wait till this weekend and installed the buick alternator today. i had to drill out the threads on the buick alt to 5/16 on the small tab and then bolted up.

So was this an upgrade or just something that worked to get you by? Anyone have a renix alt list? I need to upgrade bad

RENIX uses a 61A, 80A, or 100A Delco CS-130 from the factory (some 4-150 engines were equipped with the uncommon CS-121.)

Since the internals are effectively mechanically the same, you can look for a CS-130 giving up to 140A (I don't have a donor list to hand,) then swap out the front half of the case - since the front half carries the mounting spool and adjuster ear, that will handle the mounting issue. It can be reclocked to put the plugs where you need them as you put it back together.

I'll have to work up a donor list sometime, I've just got a few other things to get out of the way first.

have a cs144 northstar 140 amp coming, hoping to do a writeup soon for installation inplace of the a/c compressor

So, I'm looking for some wiring help..... my 89 has the same plug for the stock alt as the cs144 uses. So Do I just plug it in?Of the four wire connector on the alternator , it looks like I only need two The S terminal- for the signal wire, and the F terminal goes to my alternator dash light. So does my existing cherokee wiring take care of both? I have read so many different things my brain is a jumble. Some say to run a jumper from the S-terminal straight to the Batt stud. any help be great. thanks

So, I'm looking for some wiring help..... my 89 has the same plug for the stock alt as the cs144 uses. So Do I just plug it in?Of the four wire connector on the alternator , it looks like I only need two The S terminal- for the signal wire, and the F terminal goes to my alternator dash light. So does my existing cherokee wiring take care of both? I have read so many different things my brain is a jumble. Some say to run a jumper from the S-terminal straight to the Batt stud. any help be great. thanks

It's a standard regulator, should be the same pinout.

Back