• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!!! i have a rattling noise coming from trans aera

ok guys this noise only happens when my xj is in park or neutral or when i let off the gas in drive there is no slippage and no other issues i am about to pull my hair out. it is a 1992 with 4.0 i have even checked the converter bolts they were tight. i gotta drive this thing to NY soon

Last edited:
Exhaust hitting something?

next time your stopped try and pull the 4X4 shifter a little bit. Mine rattles too and I do that and it stops it.
Search, Linkage, and I'm sure you'll find plenty. Do an advanced search, clink on the box and change it too, Search titles only. That will cut your results right down and give you only relevant ones.

Oh yea Welcome to NAXJA don't forget the search feature is your best friend

Is it a clunking sound? Even if your exhaust is tight and your converter is tight, check carefully for a lack of clearance between exhaust and frame crossmember. If the rubber transfer-case mount is old and saggy, it can cause the exhaust to hit the crossmember when you're idling or hit bumps at low speed.

X2 on the transfer case mount.

Also, my '90 had a exhaust clamp for the front pipe (from the header down) that was hard mounted to the transmission bell housing which cracked. Give the pipe a yank and see if that clamp is busted.

I'm having the same problem on my 99 with AW4. I took a look under a few nights ago and it was definately the 4wd shifter linkage. There is a point where is goes into a metal bracket attached to the tranny tunnel, but I didn't see any bushing. Does this fall out or just can't see it from the outside? I need this silly rattle taken care of!

subscribing as I hear something similar on my 96. I've recently changed out the engine mounts (OE rubber) and transmission mount (OE rubber) ... not sure what the Transfer case bushing is

X3 transfercase. On my '94 XJ I had a rattling noise that only happened when I was turning a sharp corner.. I thought that the trans was shot. Got under and looked and found out that my mounting bolts were SNAPED CLEAN IN HALF! Bartered at a shop for cash to get it fixed- $50 Canadian problem solved and still going strong today! Just fixed a hold in the floor this weekend, looked at the t-case bolts and they are still in there and not cracked. Still don't know what I did to do that, could have been that way when I got it for all I know. Good luck

Also check you catilytic converter. Mine was making an awful rattling noise and I kept having various mechanics check the tires, shocks, transmission and nothing. Finally found out the catilytic converter was shot.

Could a tired trans mount cause this? I feel like mine is sagging and maybe that is the cause?
Where can I get a good rubber replacement trans mount? Should I do motor mounts at the same time?

I sprayed tri-flo in linkage for transfer case shifter was knocking/ squeaking.
Also found my transfer case hitting the floor np231

if your motor mounts are cracked replace them. bad motor mounts will help crack your exhaust manifold!
don't know about rubber but poly may be the way I'm going to go

Harlee&Tahoe said:
if your motor mounts are cracked replace them. bad motor mounts will help crack your exhaust manifold!
don't know about rubber but poly may be the way I'm going to go
The poly transmission mount seems to be up in the air - a couple people hated it, a couple people had no problem - and it seems that it may settle in over time if given a chance. Steve at MORE said no one who purchased the daystar tranny mount from them had complained ... otoh, I think every post I've seen (except that writeup of rusty's poly mounts - is it lunghd's? I forget) equated poly motor mounts to shaking the fillings out of your teeth. Which is why I went with the bombproof rubber - it's no more expensive than OEM, supposed to be a bit stiffer, but not too stiff.

Been having a rattle from the tranny area, mostly just off idle - not audible over everything else at speed. Seems to happen regularly at engine shutdown. It's not regular or rhythmic, and most notably, it can be felt in the auto shift handle.

Poly tranny mount and BPMMs should be here this week. I'll be back here bitching if they aren't totally awesome :D

Back