• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken vacuun tube - how important?

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
It's right behind my airbox and seems to be part of the emissions system:
IMG00011.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

Opinions anyone?

Has your idle gone skyhigh? You can get a small section of vacuum hose to patch it. For now, wrap in elect tape.

Vacumn line to the EGR valve or the solenoid?

Looking at the master cylinder, it's not a RENIX rig - therefore, no EGR system.

The idea of patching it with some rubber vacuum line is correct - you should keep a couple feet of whatever size fits (I don't recall) in your toolbox for just this sort of thing. Here's how I usually do it:

1) Cut the ends of the hardline clean. A sharp razor knife will usually do the job.
2) Use something like an emery board (don't swap one from your G/F - just buy some to keep yourself...) to dress the outside of the cut end round and smooth.
3) Smear some RTV over the outside of both ends of the tube.
4) Cut a section of rubber vacuum line that fits snugly over the tube, long enough to overlap at each end by at least 3/4".
5) Slip the rubber hose over the Nylon tube. Clamps are optional, if the fit is snug (if the fit is not snug, you have the wrong size of rubber line. Try again.)

Make sure the rubber hose you use is rated for vacuum - it's built differently from pressure hose, and pressure hose will tend to collapse under vacuum. If you do the repair right, you'll only have 1/4" or so of hose unsupported, but why buy trouble?

It runs just fine. I'll grab a few feet of vacuum hose and do 5-90's fix.

Thanks gang!

I think that line goes to the evap canister solenoid, not really sure though. It's small enough that it won't cause a big manifold leak, however you are sucking in dirt, overspray coolant and all kinds of nasty shit through that tube.

Easy to fix with 1" section of windshield washer hosing.

That heads behind the bumper to the vac reservoir. I plugged mine when I broke it and haven't had any negative side effects, but you may lose functioning of your heater position selector.

That heads behind the bumper to the vac reservoir. I plugged mine when I broke it and haven't had any negative side effects, but you may lose functioning of your heater position selector.

This tube actually goes forward to the firewall and over to a canister on the passenger side next to the heater valve.

Back