• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Wiring Harness

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
I had a dash fire yesterday on the trail. Here. Fortunately replacing a couple of fusible links wires up by the battery relay allowed the wheeling to continue and a safe drive home.

This is on my 88XJ that's probably had a half dozen previous owners and has several circuits to no where. The dash wiring is fried, it still works but the insulation is also melted, no real bare spots. I believe the cause was with a switch manual over ride of the aux fan.

The question is: "Does anyone make a pre-fabbed replacement harness?"

Painless Performance makes harnesses for CJs, but I could not locate an XJ harness on their site.

Thanks,
Tom

I'am getting ready to remove all the wiring from my 87 XJ. Should be the same..

I'am swaping in all 96 stuff.

Let me know if your interested.

Nick

I just pulled mine from a junkyard Jeep...downside is, now my mirrors dont work...

~Scott

I also have a complete wiring harness from a 90 XJ I need to get rid of. PM me if interested. I've also got the ECU etc and I'll let it all go cheap.

If Tom doesn't need the electronics, I'd like to talk to you about them. But, give him first shot at it (doesn't sound like his are shot, if a fuse link replacement got him going again - but he might have bigger problems than me...)

Painless Performance makes harnesses for CJs, but I could not locate an XJ harness on their site.

Try giving them a call. I just read that they are coming out with an XJ harness - though I think it was specific to the later sensors (don't recall the year, sorry).

Hey If you want I could go out to the yard here and pull the wiring from one. let me know what electronics too I can grab em if your interested.

Thanks everyone,

YJ PM sent.
Jon, I told him if he shipped to my place I would get the electronics to you. My wirings toast and the only things not working is the wipers and the "comfort" / 'Power" trans switch.
Stihl, I was only TAD to Kodiak with the Strike Team, didn't know they had a boneyard. I'll let you know how this plays out. This is one of my $50 auction XJs so I'm not keen about throwing too much $$$ at it.

WhatRd, I'll call Painless in the morning and report back.

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Tom, haven't read this so it could have already been covered but if you're up to a bone yard run I'd suggest pulling the loom for whatever is damaged plus the ECU to engine loom from an 89 or 90 XJ. That way you are not only fixing your problem but also deleting the POS C101 connector that AMC cursed us with.

I'm goign to do that to the Chief (my '88) one day...

Tom, haven't read this so it could have already been covered but if you're up to a bone yard run I'd suggest pulling the loom for whatever is damaged plus the ECU to engine loom from an 89 or 90 XJ. That way you are not only fixing your problem but also deleting the POS C101 connector that AMC cursed us with.

I'm goign to do that to the Chief (my '88) one day...

Yah. Part of the extended refit for my 88 is to eliminate the C101 and replace it with CPC (Circular Plastic Connectors) or go whole hawg and use Amphenols (metal bodies,) and properly organise the wiring into coherent subharnesses.

What the Hell - I'll have to replace the clutch hydraulics anyhow to drop in my 1994 "external" AX-15 anyhow... Anyone got a 23-spline input set for NP242?

Hey guys! What is this you are saying about the 88 that needs to be replaced??? I am trying to sell my 88, but if I can't I want to look into this upgrade... My 88 Limited is for sale (cheap plug) and I am in desperate need for a buyer (no shame) details in cherokee for sale forum on JU... (it is a gem of an 88, and needs a good home) But can you give me a few more details about the C101? I've never heard of this?

The C101 is the big honkin' connector above the brake master cylinder / booster. You can't miss it, it's attached to the firewall by a small metal tab and has one screw going through it to hold it all together.

Later 89's through 90's don't have this connector and also don't have as many problems getting the ECU to see the sensors in the engine compartment.

Ahhh! I took that thing apart and there was black tar/grease coating the whole inside... Weatherproofing! LOL I never bothered cleaning it up and using fresh dielectric on it because I found that it was not my problem, and some others said that tar was fine. If it ever acts upbefore I sell it, I will look at doing away with it.

Near as I can tell the tar-like substance is the old dielectric grease (or whatever they use instead). It's the same crap that builds up in AW4's NSS's that needs to be cleaned out.

Had a nice talk with the Tech folks at Painless Performance, happened to be a FSJer. He stated there was no XJ harness available, Painless last year just developed a YJ harness, he didn't think that an XJ harness was in the works.

He recommended using either the 18 or 18 circuit universal harness. Told me that is what he used on his Full-Size Cherokee and there was more than enough wire to reach the back of the vehicle. I goofed up and didn't ask him the wire colors to determine if they matched or were even close to stock.

YJ, if you still offering that 90 harness & the price is right, I'm game.

Tom

Had a nice talk with the Tech folks at Painless Performance, happened to be a FSJer. He stated there was no XJ harness available, Painless last year just developed a YJ harness, he didn't think that an XJ harness was in the works.

He recommended using either the 18 or 18 circuit universal harness. Told me that is what he used on his Full-Size Cherokee and there was more than enough wire to reach the back of the vehicle. I goofed up and didn't ask him the wire colors to determine if they matched or were even close to stock.

YJ, if you still offering that 90 harness & the price is right, I'm game.

Tom

Tom -
The wiring colours should be close to stock, if not right on. IIRC, Painless uses the standard GM colour codes - as did AMC.

Back