• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no muffler

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
anybody run just a magnaflow cat and no muffler? any sound clips u can post? i'm wondering if it's too loud.

also, i wanted to just run the pipe out the side in front of the passenger rear tire. any pics of how u've done that?

I ran that setup for awhile, sounds like a tractor at idle. Makes tons of noise, but it has no tone, just makes noise. Also drones heavily while cruising. Try it, i liked it for about a week!

My old roommate ran that just the cat on his 94 ZJ w/a 5.2 it sounded bad ass but i think a 4.0 would be obnoxious

I ripped my muffler and tailpipe off last time wheeling. It was a really loud ride home, and cold as I kept the windows open cause I didn't want any of the exhaust coming into the cab. (when idling the exhaust just came out underneath the floorboard where there was a drain hole).

It sounded good at times, but most of the time it was really loud and obnoxious, and when I gave it gas I would also get a rattle from maybe the heat shield right above the exhuast, wasn't quit sure.

I was happy to get a muffler back on so I could actually hear my music, didn't have to hear that annoying rattle, smell exhaust, or have to worry about cops when I drove past them thinking my car was too loud (I don't like giving cops more reason to hate my car than are already on it)

I ran that for a bout a month. It sounded like a tractor and I got over it really quick. Now i'm either gonna run a 50 series or a pro street spintech.

anybody run just a magnaflow cat and no muffler? any sound clips u can post? i'm wondering if it's too loud.

also, i wanted to just run the pipe out the side in front of the passenger rear tire. any pics of how u've done that?

Just posted this pic in another thread but I'll show it here again (cuz I'm like that)

underbody-1.jpg

No cat just a super 40... it's kinda loud, people always give you the WTF stare when you drive by.

nice setup. what did u do w/ the o2 sensor that went at the cat?

Thanks :D It's a 95 no o2 sensor there... if you really wanted to delete the cat maybe you could find a weld in O2 bung and a dummy O2 sensor that tell the ECU the correct numbers all the time, we use them in the subaru performance world from time to time.

i had just straight pipe on for a little bit while i was in the process of turning it out the side and it sounded like crap . and also your going to run into a few problems when running it out the side just because of the leaf springs

I put a thrush turbo muffler and a tip on my 01 xj. it has a really nice tone but its not obnoxiously loud.
people have mistaken it for a eight cylinder (people who dont know xj's, obviously)

You can hear the exhaust in this video, keep in mind that's 4lo and not on the gas too much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULIRLsqlzk

This is with a turndown after the cat. Wasn't bad at idle, but it got annoying. Annoying enough to justify me buying a cat back to fix it. It was a little less annoying in 4lo, but it gets old quick. Try it yourself if you want, I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion after a little while.

Also, I'm not sure if it was the lack of a muffler or the TPS, but the throtle seemed very jumpy in 4lo. I changed the TPS right at the same time I put on the cat back, so I guess we'll never know what the real culprit was.

I ripped my muffler and tailpipe off last time wheeling. It was a really loud ride home, and cold as I kept the windows open cause I didn't want any of the exhaust coming into the cab. (when idling the exhaust just came out underneath the floorboard where there was a drain hole).

It sounded good at times, but most of the time it was really loud and obnoxious, and when I gave it gas I would also get a rattle from maybe the heat shield right above the exhuast, wasn't quit sure.

I was happy to get a muffler back on so I could actually hear my music, didn't have to hear that annoying rattle, smell exhaust, or have to worry about cops when I drove past them thinking my car was too loud (I don't like giving cops more reason to hate my car than are already on it)

You call your Jeep a car?

i'm running just a magnaflow cat with a 12" pipe behind it. I love the way it sounds, and i've been running this setup for probably close to a year. It sounded too loud with no tone when I had just the cat, but the pipe really seemed to tone it out nicely while still leaving a really loud memory to anyone I pass. It seemed to have a lot more power after I added the pipe as well. Some may be against it, but I have no intention of changing it anytime soon and I never get tired of it.

Back