• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Axle Vent Barb

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement besides the dealer? I have the part number but I imagine it's going to be a good 5-6 days because of the holiday and the weekend. I need the one that is the nylon hose barb type. I tried getting a 3/8" nylon hose barb from the hardware store, that really didn't work though, it's like I just can't get one to push in. I've tried lubing it thoroughly and it still didn't work, does anyone have suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.
-Collin

Not sure, junkyard? That's where I'd go. If you feel confident enough you could try tapping the hole and inserting a threaded barb. That's what I'd like to do, just got to figure out the sizes and all. I'd think it would be more air tight than just a "snug" fit that the OEM "pop in" barb provides.

A very small pipe fitting (1/8" NPT - 1/16" NPT if you can find it!) should work, but it would require that you drill and tap. This means that you're going to want to remove the cover so you can thoroughly flush out and and all metal bits after you're done working on it.

It's not so much that the fitting needs to be "airtight" - but you do want it to be "watertight" if you do any fording. After all, the purpose of the thing is to allow for the expansion and contraction of air - the only real reason for the hose is so it won't suck in water on the off chance...

I had gotten some from either discountjeepparts or teamcherokee. sorry I cannot remember which of those two but it was a few years ago.

Okay I guess the other question is guys, as long as I don't submerge it in anything up to there, am I fine driving it for a few days without anything connected? I may try the tap method too assuming I can get one in there, it's a little tight though, the diff takes up a lot of room.

Yes you can.

The part isn't that critical. I know you're talking about the D30, but the D35 uses a plastic expanding plug, and the 8.25 uses a hollow bolt.

You could just RTV what you have on the housing until you get the right part or fitting again.

You also need to extend your rubber hose or tie it up to the UCA as you should not be breaking this part.

I just found my new D30 didn't come with a vent barb.

I have it on my old one, whats the easiest way to get it out? Whats the part # so I can see if my dealer has it?

I just found my new D30 didn't come with a vent barb.

I have it on my old one, whats the easiest way to get it out? Whats the part # so I can see if my dealer has it?
I had one in my old one too, got it out, but couldn't get it pressed into the new one. I just used a bit of heat and some needlenose pliers.

The part number is 83504653.

Back