• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring upgrade (starter to battery)

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
So I am redoing the electrical system on my 98 because I have some extra 2 gauge from my winch. But on the starter it has a weird connecter with to wires going in and 2 connection points going out:

starter.jpg

Can I just run the 2 gauge in place of the red wire, and then similiar wire in place of the green one and ditch the block as long as I connect both sides to the correct places?

-Alex

Re: Wiring upgrad (starter to battery)

Yes.

I cut the connector in half between the two wires with a dremel and ran 2ga wire in place of the red wire. I left the green wire connected to were it was.

So I am redoing the electrical system on my 98 because I have some extra 2 gauge from my winch. But on the starter it has a weird connecter with to wires going in and 2 connection points going out:

starter.jpg

Can I just run the 2 gauge in place of the red wire, and then similiar wire in place of the green one and ditch the block as long as I connect both sides to the correct places?

-Alex

Click the link in my sig.

Go to the "instructions" page.

Select the "Starter Motor Solenoid Retermination" link (or something similar) it will give you a .pdf that will tell you just what you want to do.

Ba-Reido: the OEM wiring is 6AWG, so anything bigger than that should be just ducky. I use 1AWG - anything beyond that becomes massive overkill, but won't cause a problem. I just wanted to pick something that wouldn't be strained by the use, but would be easy to handle (for me to make and for you to install.)

Yes.

I cut the connector in half between the two wires with a dremel and ran 2ga wire in place of the red wire. I left the green wire connected to were it was.

x2...at least, on my old jeep. Haven't gotten around to ordering a new set from 5-90 for the new jeep.

Back