• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Built XJ?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks, Im new here. I have been looking around for a couple days now at various threads etc. searching out information on budget boosts.

I just acquired a 97' XJ from my dad, he told me that when he bought it he had them install the "up country" package. Which as I understand it, is a better suspension to give a little more height, skid plates, and toe points.

So most of the "recovery" mods are already taken care of on my XJ. This car is still my DD; however, I go to college and live on campus so I don't usually drive much anyways. I don't want to go bigger than 31's on my cherokee, so I don't kill my mileage.

I am currently looking at getting the teraflex 2" BB, which seems to run for about $120 on ebay with shipping. I'm assuming that this will work, but I want to know if there is a better kit available. Since as I understand it, most BBs are limited by stock suspensions, since I have the "up country" package, would it be possible to squeeze another inch or two in a BB without needing to replace them? What kits are available?

Thank you much for any help!

How sagged are the rear springs? Is the jeep sitting about level front to rear? I would suggest a shackle/ spacer lift instead of a add a leaf (AAL) BB. You could also do a junkyard lift by making bastard packs (search that term) and adding spacers up front or V8 ZJ coils, but since you have upcountry coils the V8 ZJ coils probably wont do much.

New shocks wouldn't be a bad plan either, your old ones would probably not be long enough and worn out by now.

-Alex

The shocks were actually replaces about 2 months ago. My dad had it done, but they didn't write down what they replaced them with.

I am currently away from my jeep for about another week, so I can't actually go out and check. Though I can't actually remember any noticeable sagging. The jeep has lived the past 11 year of its life running around Los Angeles streets, never really been offroad except for the occasional flat dirt road. So I doubt it has gotten that much serious wear.

I have 1 picture of my car from recent, it's at an angle so it's hard to see any sag effects if their are, but here:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7600/img1222kk1.jpg (link because the picture is quite large)

You could get the rough country bb on ebay for about $100 shipped.
It comes with spring spacers and shackles.

Im actually having trouble finding that, could you provide me with a link?

What kind of advantages does it have over the teraflex kit? (I'm very new to this kind of thing)

Im actually having trouble finding that, could you provide me with a link?

What kind of advantages does it have over the teraflex kit? (I'm very new to this kind of thing)
As long as the kit you get comes with shackles instead of blocks it doesn't really matter, they are all basically the same.

Back