• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why can yota axles hold up to 40" tires and xj's cant?

MoCo? Yikes - left when I was 19 and never have looked back...

Could be a torque thing: 22r engines aren't abusing parts the way the 4.0 can.
There is also quality control, materials and design. Hate to say it folks, but I think Toyota has Jeep beat on all those fronts. At least with the axles...

I think MoCo is chill(the year I've been here) compared to PG(where I grew up). However, I do like PG cops better(don't have their fingers crossed--probably due to having to deal with real stuff). Someday I'll board out there in Park City.

Last edited:
35's is about the max for both. There are guys in my local club who run 36's and 37's on yota stuff, but they also have really good aftermarket shafts. The one guy who has a v6 (3.4L) and 38's, breaks r-n-p's like its going out of style. One of the guys broke a burfield on 33's the other day.

If you pansy it, and stick to pavement, you can handle 40's on either, but if you EVER plan to put it in 4wd, stick to a max size of 36's. I personally wouldn't run anything larger than 33's on a Dana 30, but that's my opinion.

Gradon -
I've got a couch with your name on it. Everyone deserves to ride Utah powder at least once in their lives...

Where in Moco? I grew up at Montrose & 270. Cops always showing up to the highschool parties, even when it was only 15-20 people...

because the Toyota 8" rear is a damn good axle. the shafts taper instead of suddendly changing diameter, so they do not break as often, and the ring gear is 1/2in bigger. It is just a stronger overall rear end. Very well built.

ive got an 85 yota on 36's and havent had trouble, othen leaky birfs, with them. granted its never seen real serious rocks and im very careful not to throw the skinny pedal down when i have it notched or turned to lock. the ol 4 popper is no 4.0l but they take some abuse. bad thing is there is more frame on my xj then it has now, termites

I've only lived here in MoCo for about a 2 years now. I like it for the most part, its a nice area and cops don't screw with you. I'm originally from a boring area in norcal where you'd get pulled over and hassled for the stupidest little stuff, prob cuz the cops had nothing better to do, but it certainly kept the crime out. Now I live in old town Rockville now, walking distance from the town center.

Yossarian, from what my girlfriend tells me, this area has exploded in the last ten years, you might not recognize it anymore. Her grandma says it used to be a ten minute stroll to downtown dc, now its at least 30 mins on a good day. Traffic is pretty unreal at times.

Back