• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Fluid Poll

Automatic Transmission Fluid, what do you feed your AW-4?

• Dexron/Mercon III

Votes: 87 69.6%
  • ATF+4

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • Dexron-IV

Votes: 12 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yes, ATF+4 is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 as of 2007. That's a reversal, and a red flag.

since the earlier tsb from 2006 specifically excluded the AW-4 transmission from the compatible list.
Right after DC was bought by the Cerberus bean counters...they get stupid and try to
cull the jeep herd again.

Collective experience on the Naxja board says use Dex III, and change frequently any way you please.

I'm going for cheap Coastal Dexron III, at $11 a gallon. $2.75 per quart with no special additives. I expect it to be cooked right on time at 25k.

I'd love to try Dexron-VI in a winter freeze...anyone want to bet their transmission on a $6 per quart fluid?

Last edited:
Before I read the "DO NOT USE ATF+4", I did a transmission service on a perfectly good AW4. Earlier on I installed a Tranny cooler and gauge. Temp was great. Rarely got above 155*. Changed filter, fluid (ATF+4).

Next day on the way to work, temp went to 180*+ coming down a grade and would not shift out of second. Thought I screwed up the simple filter change. Bought some cheap Dex III rated fluid and drained what I could and replaced at lunch.

Transmission was better, but still not good. Drained and refilled multiple times and now is good as new.

60 bucks in fluid later=lesson learned

ATF+4 Isn't that the recommended fluid?

Recommended per who? Anyone who actually wants to keep their AW4 in operating condition will NOT use ATF+4.

But of course Chrysler knows that most (if not all) AW4s are in vehicles that no longer have a powertrain warranty....

So...of course Chrysler will recommend the wrong type of fluid. They know if you run it, it will make your AW4 shit the bed......then they can claim that your 8-20 year old tranny needs replaced/rebuilt for a few thousand $$$, OR, hey, we have this shiney new JK on the lot that you can drive away today....and they'll give you a "deal" on your "antiquated" XJ.

It's Dexron VI (6) not Dexron-IV (4)

I use Dexron VI because it is licensed. Other stuff is what the vendor tells you is close enough to be "compatible" according to the vendor's standards and cost effective according to the vendor's standards. I also use VI because it is backwards compatible with Dexron III according to GM, who would have a whole shitload of trouble if the stuff was blowing up trannies.

Chilton's manual sez:
AW4
Use Dex II only. Dex II went to Dex III. So's I use Dex III. Simple enough.

yes, ATF+4 is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 as of 2007. That's a reversal, and a red flag.

since the earlier tsb from 2006 specifically excluded the AW-4 transmission from the compatible list.
Right after DC was bought by the Cerberus bean counters...they get stupid and try to
cull the jeep herd again.

Collective experience on the Naxja board says use Dex III, and change frequently any way you please.

I'm going for cheap Coastal Dexron III, at $11 a gallon. $2.75 per quart with no special additives. I expect it to be cooked right on time at 25k.

I'd love to try Dexron-VI in a winter freeze...anyone want to bet their transmission on a $6 per quart fluid?

All of your readers (including me!) would very much like to know where you get the +3/+4 information - is it a TSB or something? Have you a copy? I know I'd like to see it...

ATF +3/+4 is a late-spec Chrysler fluid - which is all well and good, but the AW4 is a Toyota transmission. Until rather recently, all Toyota slushboxes used Dexron II/IIE/III, and the Mercon V and Dexron VI are supposed to be reverse-compatible with Dexron spec back to II. In fact, if you look at the drain plug, it has "DII" stamped into the surface!

So, if you have a TSB or something that shows the sudden shift to +4, please do post it - or at least email it to me so I can see it and host it somewhere temporarily for review. But, I know that the most of the AW4s used by Chrysler/Jeep were earlier than 2007, so the Dexron II/IIE/III/V/VI should still be in place - and, as mentioned, they're out of warranty now (which might explain the reversal. Most of a transmission overhaul is labour, and labour is where shops make money. Two hours out, two hours in, and eight to twelve on the bench!)

@88xjsuperjeep - Do Not Use ATF +3/+4! Especially if your rig is an 88, per your sig - use Dexron II/IIE/III/V/VI/Mercon (whatever you can find locally - probably Dexron III, Dexron V, or Mercon V) in your slushbox. The hassle about getting rid of the wrong fluid is due to the fact that a fluid change in an automatic gets about half of the fluid out at best - because there's at least a gallon that stays in the torque converter, and there's anywhere between a pint and a half-gallon staying in the hydraulics (depending on model. The AW4 holds four quarts in the TC and most of another quart in the hydraulics.) So you see what happens there - and why it would take several changes to get the concentration of the "wrong" additives down to where it's not a problem anymore. The problem with +3/+4 is that the friction modifiers - needed to make the clutches work - are all wrong for the composition used, and that leads to chatter, slip, and/or outright failure to grab.

Just about all of the FSMs I have say to use Dexron/Mercon fluid in the AW4, the AW4 itself sez to use Dexron II, and Toyota sez to use Dexron in the thing - so Dexron it is!

NB: your transfer case won't care, you can use +3/+4 in there if you have any left. Once you've run out, go back to DII in there, and simplify your logistical train. The transfer case doesn't have clutches in it, and you get all but about a couple of ounces of fluid out of there when you change it anyhow. It's there for lubrication, and that's pretty much it.

I use Amsoil Synthetic!

Yes Chrysler now recommends ATF+4 for the AW4 trans.

Why you ask?

Because of the fact that Dexron VI is now fully synthetic. As is ATF+4. There isn't much difference between the two now days, so why not recommend your own brand of fluid?

Personally I hate AW4 transmissions. So run whatever you feel like and hope for the best.

I would find some Dexron II or III and run that before anything else.

TSB# 21-14-07

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-010-06, DATED
APRIL 14, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL
REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE
ADDITION OF THE ASIAN WARNER (AW4) TRANSMISSION AND ADDITIONAL
MODELS AND YEARS.
SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type MS9602)
MODELS:
1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/Lebaron Sedan
1989 - 2003 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Truck
1989 - 1994 (AG) Daytona
1989 (AH) Lancer/Lebaron GTS
1989 - 1995 (AJ) Lebaron Coupe/Lebaron Convertible
1989 - 1990 (AK) Aries/Reliant
1989 - 1990 (AL) Horizon/Omni
1989 (AM) Diplomat/Gran Fury/New Yorker fifth Avenue
1989 - 2004 (AN) Dakota
1989 - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Sundance
1990 - 1991 (AQ) Maserati
1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
1994 - 2003 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
2004 - **2008** (CS) Pacifica
1998 - 2003 (DN) Durango
2002 - **2008** (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck
2007 - **2008** (DC) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis
1995 - 2000 (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon
1996 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)
NUMBER: 21-014-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: October 16, 2007
2004 - **2008** (HB) Durango
**2008 (HG) Aspen**
1995 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
2007 - **2008** (JK) Wrangler
2001- 2006 (JR) Sebring Sedan & Convertible/Stratus Sedan
2007 - **2008** (JS) Avenger/Sebring/Serbring Convertible
1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible
**2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro**
2002 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty
**2008 (KK) Liberty**
**2008 (L2) 300C (China)**
1993 - 2004 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker
/300M
2005 - **2008** (LX/LE) 300/Magnum/Charger
2005 - **2008** (ND) Dakota
1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1995 - 2005 (PL) Neon
2002 - 2003 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)
2001 - **2008** (PT) PT Cruiser
1997 - 2002 (PR) Prowler
2001 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**2008 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan/Grand Voyager
(U.S. & International Markets)**
1997 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2001 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
Vehicles equipped with Gas engines
1999 - 2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
2005 - **2008** (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee
2006 - **2008** (XK/XH) Commander
1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler
**1989 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee**
**1989 - 1993 (MJ) Comanche**

1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
1994 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer
NOTE: **AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions are now included in this Service
Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

21-014-07 -2-
NOTE: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to the following transmissions:
• Sprinter transmissions
• Crossfire transmissions
• MK/PM vehicles equipped with Continuously Variable Transmission
(CVT)
• WG vehicles equipped with a diesel engine (sales code ENF) and a
W5J400 or NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ)
• **ALL vehicles equipped with a AS68RC Transmission (sales code
DG3)**
• **ALL vehicles equipped with a GENTRAG MPS6 Transmission (sales
code DG5)**
DISCUSSION:
ATF+4® - (Type 9602) is being used as factory fill for Chrysler Group automatic
transmissions. ATF+4® is recommended for all vehicles equipped with Chrysler
Group automatic transmissions EXCEPT FOR THOSE LISTED IN THE NOTE ABOVE.
NOTE: ATF+4® must always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with
ATF+4®. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FLUID.
NOTE: ATF+4® is backward compatible with ATF+3 , ATF+2, and ATF+. Additionally,
ATF+4® can be used to top off vehicles that used ATF+3, ATF+2, or ATF+.
NOTE: If ATF+4® is used to service models originally filled with ATF+3 , ATF+2, and
ATF+ the fluid maintenance schedules listed for that model does not change.
The service interval currently in effect for a given model should continue to
be followed. Refer to the Service or Owners manual for maintenance
schedule directions.
In general terms, If ATF+, ATF+2 or ATF+3 was the recommended fluid, it is now
recommended to use ATF+4®
BENEFITS
•Better anti-wear properties
•Improved rust/corrosion prevention
•Controls oxidation
•Eliminates deposits
•Controls friction
•Retains anti-foaming properties
•Superior properties for low temperature operation
FLUID COLOR
Mopar ATF+4® has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4® is not
permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4® also
has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4® fluid, color and odor are no
longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

hmm i just did a TC swap and drained the tranny. refilled BOTH with ATF+4. i have put about 100 miles on both the trans and TC since.

Im thinkin i might do a flush?

Yes Chrysler now recommends ATF+4 for the AW4 trans.

Why you ask?

Because of the fact that Dexron VI is now fully synthetic. As is ATF+4. There isn't much difference between the two now days, so why not recommend your own brand of fluid?

Personally I hate AW4 transmissions. So run whatever you feel like and hope for the best.

I would find some Dexron II or III and run that before anything else.

Hm. As I understand it, it's not the carrier oil that is the problem (synthetic vice dead dinosaurs - it's viscosity 10 carrier oil either way.) It's the additive package - specifically, the friction modifiers for the wet clutches. The end result is kinda like running a clutch-based LSD without friction modifier - chatter, slip, bad operation, ...

As far as autos go, the AW4 is probably my favourite (I've dealt with many.) I still prefer to drive a manual in most cases, but that's just me. I learned to drive on a manual, I got my driver's license in a manual, and (since most kids can't drive manuals anymore!) it seems to add a little security to my vehicle. I still think it would be fun to have a twin-stick D300 behind a six-speed with a Lightning Rod shifter set (eight sticks! Kids would never be able to take off in that!) but that's more a dream than anything else...)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_2101006.pdf

There's the TSB from 2006. The clincher NOTE: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to AW-4 transmissions.

A year later, the AW4 hadn't changed, the ATF+4 fluid spec was unchanged. But in 2007, it was suddenly time to make 1 fluid for all...sounds like a totalitarian scheme.

Ready to take an aspirin yet?
just get a case of Dexron III and forget the whole headache.

The Dexron and Mercon licenses expired in 06 and 07 respectively.
Now they are separately named, incompatible fluid specs, with another twist. A new abbreviation called "Dexmerc", satisfying both old specs.

Last edited:
Threading through the clutter and chatter :lecture: of this thread I find one brand of oil missing,...ie AMSOIL. :doh:

My XJ has about 170,000 miles on it. I have been using Amsoil for 135,000 miles. It still work perfect.

Sorry, this poll is not about brand but rather about type of oil. I think Amsoil is another type of oil.

The reason I thought it was spec was because the bottle states "ATF+4 is specially formulated for use in ALL chrysler and JEEP automatic transmissions." I have only used it to top off my 97, but won't use it again after reading this thread. Thanks! On a similar note, I also only use thick dino for motor oil. no synthetic in my 4.0 for that same reason. They just were not built with the properties of the new additives in mind.

The reason I thought it was spec was because the bottle states "ATF+4 is specially formulated for use in ALL chrysler and JEEP automatic transmissions." I have only used it to top off my 97, but won't use it again after reading this thread. Thanks! On a similar note, I also only use thick dino for motor oil. no synthetic in my 4.0 for that same reason. They just were not built with the properties of the new additives in mind.

When I do a change I drain it through the drain plug refill, drive for 2 days, repeat, then drain and change filter, I figure I get all the old fluid out that way, I refill with the dexron/mercon. As far as oil I run rotella T 10w-30 due to the whole zinc removal in most oils.

Back