• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shake/shimmy at 51-55, not death wobble?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is a 1990 4.0/AW4/NP231/swapped in 8.25/3"lift/SYE

This Jeep is completely restored, everything in the front end is new in the last 2 years and the tracbar and draglink/tie rod/TRE's are new this week (replaced chasing this problem).

I have a shimmy shake that feels like a wheel out of balance but I have had them checked and they were dead on. I'm running 30x9.5 BFG AT/KO's on TJ Canyon rims. The UCA and LCA bushings are new, the ball joints are new, the unibearings are new, the axle U-joints are new as part of the resto.

The problem seems to be coming from the right front and I have had the front end checked as well and I had it set dead on perfect from a driveway adjustment.

Nothing is loose underneath the front end, no unusual tire wear.

The only thing that I have done to improve the issue was to rotate the front tire to the rear (same side) but its still there just not as bad.

Am I missing something? What else could it be?

Hmm, you seem to have hit everything. This may be the rare case where a new steering stabilizer fixes the problem.

These types of vibes can be very difficult to isolate aren't they..... I spent the better part of a year on my 55-60 vibe before discovering that I had one lower balljoint starting to go. Replacing that and an alignment along with a new stabilizer for good measure (not the cause; just worn out) fixed it. However, you mention that the balljoints and other front end parts are new. By driveway adjustment, do you mean you aligned it yourself? May want to consider a rack alignment if you're stuck or is that what you meant by "had the front end checked?".....

It's been my experience that mysterious vibrations at a certain speed are fixed by not driving at that certain speed.

It's certainly cheaper than replacing everything you can think of.

These types of vibes can be very difficult to isolate aren't they..... I spent the better part of a year on my 55-60 vibe before discovering that I had one lower balljoint starting to go. Replacing that and an alignment along with a new stabilizer for good measure (not the cause; just worn out) fixed it. However, you mention that the balljoints and other front end parts are new. By driveway adjustment, do you mean you aligned it yourself? May want to consider a rack alignment if you're stuck or is that what you meant by "had the front end checked?".....

Its not impossible for a 2 year old ball joint to be bad but I used Spicer's and I feel no play in them and no movement when I raise and lower the tire off the ground with a jack.

I have 5 XJ's and always do my own driveway alignments, I second guessed myself on this one so I had a friend of mine put it on his rack and check it, I was dead on. Caster of course was a little off due to 2.5" lift and stock arms but I have never had caster cause vibs, I guess this could be a first.

I have a vibe coming from my front at about the same speed. Upon looking at the front end I found a worn axle u-joint. I'm guessing this could cause some vibration due to the slop. I haven't changed the joint yet, but you might check yours. I'm trying to justify a set of AlloyUSA shafts to fix my u-joint. :spin1:

Sounds like you are a student of the game.......you have probably eliminated most of the following possible causes, but if you haven't and for others that are dealing with vibes/wobble, here is a reference list of things that can contribute......

-Front tires out of balance
-Improper lugnut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Need adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Need drop pitman arm
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

-Steering box looseness

-Driveshaft(s) not balanced

I'll check these next, the box has some internal play but not bad for a 18 year old with 170k on it. The front drive shaft was rebuilt 2 years ago with new Spicer U-joints, slip joint was good but the center ball was marginal then, but with the disco front axle and the fact that this jeep never gets "locked in", it wasn't a concern then.

I have several new Spicer center ball kits in the shop I got a deal on a few months ago($25 each) so I'll put one of those in and see what happens.

I "may" have found the issue with this, my LCA on the pass side had a some slop in it. I pulled it off and the bushing at the axle end was soft, almost squishy. I have a slight leak at the CAD that may have contributed to the 2 year old bushing dieing so quickly. I'll post back if this fixes the issue when I have it back together to drive it.

I have the same problem right now...so far I'm not liking what research has brought me. Almost everything on that list I believe to be true. However, most of it was fine until recently, the only thing I can figure changed is my ZJ tierod (swapped in recently), control arms (I flex like crazy on stock ones, but they've been good till now), and RE HE trackbar set-up...but it seems solid (that fixed my DW).

Boo. I don't like this. Looks like I'll have to avoid that speed like I've been doing.

~Scott

I chased this for several months and it DID turn out to be tires out of balance. I did all the same suspension stuff...I had two tire stores balance and re-balance my wheels.

Went to the 3rd shop and he said they were WAY off. Shaking went away. Just a thought, try another shop, machines vary as do tire guys.

I chased this for several months and it DID turn out to be tires out of balance. I did all the same suspension stuff...I had two tire stores balance and re-balance my wheels.

Went to the 3rd shop and he said they were WAY off. Shaking went away. Just a thought, try another shop, machines vary as do tire guys.

But did that happen over time (like you didn't have vibes before), or were your tires just flat out wrong to begin with?

I know my tires are a bit off as when I mounted them and put BB's in them when I picked my rims up from a guy, I noticed immediate vibes going home.

~Scott

But did that happen over time (like you didn't have vibes before), or were your tires just flat out wrong to begin with?

I know my tires are a bit off as when I mounted them and put BB's in them when I picked my rims up from a guy, I noticed immediate vibes going home.

~Scott
I went to a cheapo tire place in town. Great price on the tires but they had a couple of shady guys mounting and "balancing". I took it back the next day to have them check their work, same result. They said everything was fine.

Then, after about a month of living with the shakes and checking and replacing components (notheing changed) I took it to Les Schwab and PAID them to check my suspension, alignment and balance the tires, same result. They also said it was all good.

Again, I lived with it for awhile until I couldn't anymore, I'd been through it all. I went to Big O Tires this time and again paid them to check the balance. The guy showed me on his machine how far out of balance they were. Problem solved, like magic!! Go figure!!??

At least now I know that my front end is tight and all the parts are fairly new.

I have a similar vibe around 50 mph. I've started to notice that when I grease the upper track bar connection, the vibe is much less for a couple weeks and slowly returns.

The track bar seems tight and everything else is new or replaced. It is next on my list.

With the Jeep on the ground, feel the track bar joints while someone cranks the wheel back and forth (not all the way just back and forth about 1/2 turn). I'll bet it feels sloppy.

Wow, this thread still lives! I fixed my shimmy with new bushings in all of the control arms.

I still have a slight vibration at around 50mph, I think its a tire. I haven't had the tires balanced in 3 years so that is next.

Back