• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pipe between header and cat...purchase

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
my XJ is crazy loud, so i slipped under her to take a look at the damage. looks like the pipe coming from the header into the cat has a hole in it where the hanger used to attach. is this a common problem? where can i find just this pipe? i'd like to avoid getting a new header and sort... my funds are short.

shimmy said:
my XJ is crazy loud, so i slipped under her to take a look at the damage. looks like the pipe coming from the header into the cat has a hole in it where the hanger used to attach. is this a common problem? where can i find just this pipe? i'd like to avoid getting a new header and sort... my funds are short.

Exhaust shop would be the best bet. Take the old one in, and just have them bend you up a new one, and install it yourself. A slimple down pipe shouldnt be more than $50 bucks or so. My .02.

Exhaust shop I went to charged $3 a foot and $2 a mandrel bend. Wanst cheap metal either, some strong stuff.

dizzymac said:
www.rockauto.com you may want to replace the nuts on the header flange with brass while you have them off. Also, be careful of the CPS wiring harness, make sure its not hitting the downpipe.

ok, going off the rockauto site, they give me this part number: walker 55277. is that correct? on the walker site, it lists this part as the "front pipe." sorry about the dumb question, is the front pipe the same thing as a down pipe. i need a down pipe right?

Yes...its the pipe from the header to cat. Try a local auto parts store too, I didn't pay much for mine, less than $40. I use RockAuto quite a bit but sometimes it just easier to get it locally. That is the part #.

i th ink banks too sells a custom downpipe dunno how much though but i looked at it and decided to have one done locally... i am sure mine tucked up closer to that the banks... just a though

dizzymac said:
theres an all metal "donut"type gasket that goes on first

ok, i should be able to pick that up at NAPA... is there any other gaskets i need. i'm replacing the down pipe, cat, muffler...?

Got mine at the dealer for $35 if I remember correctly, bought the remaining pieces from Advance auto, took it to an exhaust shop and had them install the header pipe and make two welds for $65...done deal. Total about $250 for complete replacement of exhaust. Got the donuts from the dealer as well.

Cory

Back