• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light when everything seems fine

kendrick

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to check on my winter vehicle today. It's a 98 4.0 4x4. It's been sitting for most of the summer, driven occasionally. The only work done really was new front rotors and pads. As I backed it out of the driveway the check engine light came on. Everyting appears to be fine. Good voltage, oil pressure, temperature, power, etc. Has anyone had similar problems? I here that if I take it to Autozone they can read it for me. Is there any danger in driving it there?

You can check it your self. With my '96 I turn the key back and forth 5 times and count the CEL blinks. I think yours is easier, do some searching for the CEL and CEL codes.

I have something in the Oxygen Sensor circuit that makes the light come on occasionally, nothing is wrong and the sensor has been replaced. But the engine can take 50 times of the key being turned on and off before the CEL light goes off, unless you disconnect the battery.

The only time I've seen a check engine light on my 98 was due to the neutral position indicator(???) I can't remember what it is call, but that thing that tells the computer the position of the shifter.

I worked it back and forth several times and the light went out.

I bet you having it sit up for a while caused this. I think those things are flaky at best anyway.

Take it to advance or autozone for a code scan will tell you why the cel is on.

Just take it to any Autoparts store they will scan your OBDII port for free. Takes 2 seconds. There is really no way we could tell you what it is, it just a guessing game from our end of the computer screen.

The only time I've seen a check engine light on my 98 was due to the neutral position indicator(???) I can't remember what it is call, but that thing that tells the computer the position of the shifter.

I bet you having it sit up for a while caused this. I think those things are flaky at best anyway.

Neutral Safety Switch

You can't use the key-on key off trick on a 98. You'll need a scan tool to pull the codes. As mentioned, take it to a big box parts store where they will read the codes for free in the hopes that you'll buy parts from them. Guessing is futile. Something in one of the emissions control circuit is probably a bit out of spec. If the CEL isn't flashing, it's safe to drive to the store or shop to retrieve the codes. Post back what you find. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. Next time I get a chance I'll shift it back and forth a few times and then drive to the auto parts store and see what they can tell me.

Thanks for the input. Next time I get a chance I'll shift it back and forth a few times and then drive to the auto parts store and see what they can tell me.

Do it with the engine off.

Okay, I gave in and ordered this...

Equus 3030 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles

For about 60 bucks. I figure I'll need it again, since I won't part with my beloved Jeep and I can use it for other vehicles. It should be here tomorrow. I'm assuming I will find a O2 sensor code.

I'm assuming I will find a O2 sensor code.

Don't assume anything..... Right now my '98 is throwing 2 codes for the trans.... I've got to drop the pan and diagnose a solenoid inside.....

You'll find out for sure when you get the reader. After you pull the codes just google them......

Sounds like the winner. I checked the codes and got P0700 and P0705, both have to do with trans sensors. I worked the shift back and forth a few times and cleared the codes. I dorve around and tried all the gears with no light returning. Plus now I have a code reader to play with. I was checking peoples cars at work for fun.

give it a little bit of driving. Those code readers do not actually delete it, the code is still present in the computer. and it can take a little bit for it to come back on. For this reason, in NC you have to wait a bit before you get your car inspected after deleting a code.

Don't assume anything..... Right now my '98 is throwing 2 codes for the trans.... I've got to drop the pan and diagnose a solenoid inside.....

You'll find out for sure when you get the reader. After you pull the codes just google them......

You know you can test the solenoids at the TCM and at the connector under the hood by the firewall, right?

Sounds like the winner. I checked the codes and got P0700 and P0705, both have to do with trans sensors. I worked the shift back and forth a few times and cleared the codes. I dorve around and tried all the gears with no light returning. Plus now I have a code reader to play with. I was checking peoples cars at work for fun.

With both 0700 and 0705 codes, it's probably your NSS: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t478494.html

Plenty of threads about how to clean them out so you don't have to replace them.

With both 0700 and 0705 codes, it's probably your NSS: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t478494.html

Plenty of threads about how to clean them out so you don't have to replace them.

From everything I've read all of those people were having starting or stalling problems. I've started mine probably a dozen times since the light came on, and have driven about ten miles and started it another five times since I cleared the code. I guess I'll just keep driving it for a bit and see what happens.

Edit: Well after reading a little bit more it may just be good preventitive maintenance to go ahead and do it. It doesn't look to be that hard. Now I'm going to be paranoid and drive out to my jeep to see if the reverse lights are coming on.

Last edited:
So I got my Jeep out. I've done city driving and freeway driving driving under every condition I can think of and it seems fine. The light didn't come back. I did however notice that there is a pause between shifting to reverse and the lights coming on. Is this normal, or is it a sign of needing the clean the neutral switch? I've driven it for so long and have never looked I don't know anymore.

If I were you, I'd pull the NSS and clean it out and put it back. So far, your most recent symptom and your error codes are telling you NSS. At the very least, you'll have a nice and clean NSS!

Back