• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Starting Problem

FlameRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here goes my first post!

After completing some work on a high mileage 99 XJ, has 300,000 km, I am continuing to have problems during start up.

Six months ago the rig would not turn over at all due to a dirty Neutral Safety Switch, but after cleaning it has worked fine until 2 months ago.

PROBLEM: When I turn the key it sometimes starts immediately, but often strikes 5-6 times before turning over. Happens at different times when starting, after sitting outside all night and even after driving for hours on the highway.

Last week I replaced the battery (now has Optima Yellow Top), spark plugs, plug wires, new alternator cap, and a new starter motor was installed. A minor tune up was also completed. This has solved a near stall problem I had when accelerating off the lights, but the starting issue continues.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Thanks pb_beaker!

I have been reading the forum for a few years but am just now starting to work on the XJ, so I am sure I'll have lots of questions...

Getting an RC 4.5" lift and some 32" BFG ATs which should be on it in two weeks.

Remove, clean, inspect and firmly re-connect all the wires to the battery, alternator, and starter. Replace any cable or connectors that are damaged or heavily corroded. Do the same for the ground cables from the battery and motor to the body.

Back