• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vinyl floor covering

MikeS63301

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I buy vinyl floor covering like they use in work trucks? Is there some place I can buy it by the yard? I want to replace the carpet in the back of my XJ with it.

they sell it new, molded to the floor, with insulation through JC whitney and about half a dozen other places, not too bad of a price either

the last tiem I looked into it they wern't bad. But I ended up just rhino lining it instead. Maybe I saw a random deal or something. Did he get nailed or something.

well it wasnt molded... and he got soaked on the kit. he expected a direct fit. Its nothing of the sort. (I saw it in person) I'm planning to do the same. But I plan for cutting to fit a few places and allowing for tucking under the trim edges. Maybe it will be different from a different vendor. But...

Anybody know where to get something complementary for the rear cargo area? I'm actually thinking about getting a big ole slab of neoprene, but if there is something specific I'd prefer that.

That's what I'm looking to recover also. I just bought this XJ about a month ago and the previous wingnut spilled what seems to be oil or gear lube in the rear area. All my attempts to clean has resulted in smearing this crap everywhere. The more I mess with it, the worse it gets.

Anyway, yeah some sort of neoprene would be cool.

NAXJA

Anybody know where to get something complementary for the rear cargo area? I'm actually thinking about getting a big ole slab of neoprene, but if there is something specific I'd prefer that.

actually ACC has a package that includes the rear cargo area

JC Whitney

Auto-Interior (2nd item)

ACC does seem to have poor quality, based on searches here and elsewhere. I might risk it though--rubber can be adjusted with a blowtorch

$350 for a universal fit? No thanks...

I couldn't find anybody that made one specifically for the XJ.

So I bought a couple of 30x60 floor mats at home depot and cut em up.

Redneck, but it works for me, and I think it was about $35 total.

Robert

From JC Whitney site -

""Heavy-duty, 1/8" thick, black vinyl, custom tailored fits vehicle's floor pan perfectly""

Heavy duty - 1/8 inch??? heh heh

Pros: none
Cons: customer beware

"I was anticipating a much better product. Expeted something that would fit to the bends and cerves and would have enuph metarel to fit. The center of the vinyl was much over strech and the back was under. It took me several houers to in stall it and arias that it had strech for holes where lind up not. After having it in my truck fo strivel days it stared to creal and worp where it was once flat. Unfortunletly i could not put my origenal back in do to rot"

Pros: heavy duty vinyl
Cons: not custom molded

"This mat is listed as "custom fit" for your vehicle. About the only thing custom was the width. You basically get a rectangle of vinyl. The only customizing is done by you with a utility knife. The fit still has wrinkles from around the curves in the floor pan and transmission. I am going back out and use contact cement to hold it flat to the floor pan. Don't believe the pictures that show it molded to every curve of your vehicle. The vinyl is pretty thick, any thicker and you would not have a chance of fitting it to your floor pan."

"This was supposed to fit my Ford Ranger but had to cut it down and it still doesn't fit right.It was supposed to be formed to the contour of my floor but it didn't. I was very unhappy with this product. 1988 Ford Ranger"

well it wasnt molded... and he got soaked on the kit. he expected a direct fit. Its nothing of the sort. (I saw it in person) I'm planning to do the same. But I plan for cutting to fit a few places and allowing for tucking under the trim edges. Maybe it will be different from a different vendor. But...

Yea Very true

i had to cut in three sections to get it remotely even close and it still sucked. i used a heat gun to TRY to get it to mold a littlebut to no avail!

I would have much rather line-x'ed or got the universal kit because i got hosed on the direct-fit!

My 2 cents.

Josh

The below is a write up I did on another forum about this "molded" vinyl install. Its a lot of reading, but if you are considering this, its worth the effort. In a nutshell, if you buy this stuff, you better have a helping hand, a hot day (the whole day), lots of patience, and atleast a case of beer. Its a pain in the ass to install, but I am happy with the end results. Its very tough stuff, and is VERY easy to keep clean. Oh, and this si the same exact shit that everyone sells. Its all made by the same company.

Today I had to run a few errands and pick up some wire and relays, and on my way home to wire everythig up, I stopped by the post offcie to check the mail. I got a package from the guys who make the vinyl flooring for all sorts of vehicles, Automotiveinteriors.com. I decided to try this product, as an alternative to rhino lining the floor. I wanted something that was easy to clean, and wouldnt be destroyed by mud and dirt.

After picking this up, I decided to put in as much of it as possible instead of mess with wiring. Yanked out the front seats and center console, cleaned everything one last time, and was ready to start.

When I saw the size of the box this "Molded" vinyl covering came in, I was a bit skeptical. I mean, if its "Molded", how does it fit inside this little box right? according to the company rep, it came with the front section, rear section, and all new sound deadening/insulation material to cover the entire vehicle floor basically. This was all stuffed into a box that was about the size of a suitcase, and weighed about 50 pounds.

When I say "molded", this is what I was expecting, as it is the picture from the website that I bought this stuff from:

Now, as you can see, this thing should just fit right in right?

Well, I opened the box, unfolded this stuff on the ground, and was not impressed for my 300 bucks. The material itself is perfect, its got a nice texture, it seems to be very tough, and is plenty thick enough to withstand a decent amount of abuse. But it aint "molded".

You could see in a few spots where they had heat pressed/formed a few humps and things, but that was about the extent of the "molding". Maybe I am expecting too much, but that picture is about as decieving as one could possibly be. I know that in order for this stuff to remain flexible, be boxed up and shipped out it would not be PERFECTLY molded, but come on!

I debated for about 30-45 minutes on stuffing it all back in the box and sending it back, but really couldnt think of another option for floor covering, and I did like the material.

I pressed on with the install. The rep from the company told me it required "minor" triming.... again, not exactly what the reality was. I started on the front section, which goes from the firewall, to the back seat edge. I fought (literally) this stuff for about 8 hours, and I FINALLY got it semi/sorta/halfway installed to a level where I can say I am KIND OF pleased. I am hoping that a few of the humps and wrinkles will flatten out with a little summer heat, and good ole gravity. I did stick the heat gun to a few of the areas, and the vinyl gets nice and flexible with heat. I am hoping the heat off the tranny and exhaust will aid in this process. I will finish the rear section tommorow and post pictures of this stuff. Its not perfect, but its better than stained carpet and a halfhearted attempt with roll on bedliner.

At this point, about halfway through the install, I cant really say I wouldnt recommend this to just anyone. Unless... you have 2 free days, lots of energy, even more patience, a decent understanding of upholestry and a friend to help would also be a good Idea. Even with that said, dont expect it to be easy or perfect. Maybe the rear section will go better for me. I probably shouldnt even do the rear section since its all getting covered with a platform anyway, but since I have it, I am going to put it in.

Ok, I got the rear section done this morning, so the whole job took about 12 hours. I had already removed the old carpeting a few weeks back, so that will add another hour or so to the installation.

The rear section went in much easier than the front, as expected. It still is not perfect by any means, but I am over all satisfied. The molding and trimming could have been MUCH better from the factory, and they could have provided some sort of instructions or tips (they sent nothing). If I can give any advice with this stuff it would be to install it on the hottest day of the year, because heat is your friend with this product. I used a heat gun for some stubborn areas, and it helped tremendously, but the temp here is overcast and about 70 degrees (normally nothing to complain about).

I am very pleased with the actual material, and I think it will hold up nicely. In a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the material at about 8-9. with the same scale, I would rate the ease of installation and quality of molding a very liberal "1". Enough babble, here are some pictures:

Again, this is what one would expect to get, as this is what is advertised:

carpetimage_200.jpg

But this is what you actually get. This is the rear section. I think you understand my first impression:

DSCN0416.jpg

Here is a close up of the texture. Its about 1/8 thick, and pretty tough.

DSCN0417.jpg

Starting to fit and trim the rear section:

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0419.jpg

Rear section mostly complete:

DSCN0420.jpg

Passenger side front:

DSCN0423.jpg

Driverside front:

DSCN0421.jpg

Rear foot well:

DSCN0415.jpg

Where the rear seat would normall be. I dont care about this area, and didnt spend much time with it as it will have a platform put in to be level with the rest of the rear section. I am not running any rear seat, and have removed all of the seatbelt stuff.

DSCN0424.jpg

In all honesty, the pictures dont quite do the finished product justice. I am actually overall happy with it, and will be very happy if the humps/bumps settle flat over the next couple of weeks. It was just a pain in the arse to install, and very misleading on what I was getting.

Once I get the platform built and covered, I am sure it will clean up the rear section to look pretty decent.

Ok, the second half of my day consisted of installing the rear platform. It went much smoother than the vinly flooring installation, and I am pleased with the outcome. I now have a perfectly flat, sturdy rear section to put whatever I choose (of course I have that all planned out as well :) ) There is quite a bit of room in the rear of these things, I have 5.5 feet of front to back space and a little over 4 feet of width, for almost 24 square feet of real-estate. This is with the front seats in the furthest back position, and about 3/4 inch clearance. I can also still lay the seats back flat if I need to. There is also a nice amount of storage under the front section, between to two bulkheads I made to support the front of the platform. I was going to cap off the ends/sides by the rear doors, and cut access from the top, but I think I will leave it open on the ends and just slide whatever I need to under the platform. There is pretty easy access from both doors, and the driveshaft hump keeps things separated from left to right. The bulheads keep anything from rolling front or back.

I had initially planned on installing the fridge on the left or right side behind the front seats, and have the fridge on a slide so it would come out the rear door for easy access, but upon further research (read: staring at it while taking breaks), I dont think it will work due to the limited space in the door opening. If the doors opened a few more inches it might work, but not a present. I will have to re-think the layout. It will be easier now that I have a nice clean flat space to visualize.

Let me know what you think!

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0426.jpg

~James

here are a few shots about 3 montsh after the initial install. I was hoping the vinyl would settle out flatter after a few weeks of driving, and a lot of it did, but not completely. Like I said, I am overall happy with the outcome, but was VERY misled on what I was actually getting.

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0554.jpg

DSCN0571.jpg

~James

Maybe you didnt read my post, I have had this stuff in for over 3 months now, and it hasnt completely settled(see the last few pictures) I think its about as good as it gets, and I am ok with that. We all know how hot the floor pans on these things get, and if that wont do it over a 3 month span, nothing will. This is nothing like any "carpet" kit, believe me. You will find out soon enough when yours comes in.

One of the biggest reason I did this was that I despise floor mats and wanted to do away with them so the theory of large floor mats flattening things out is kind of null, at least in my situation. Floor mats would slide all over the place with this stuff.

A little squirt of simple green and a big towel and it looks like new. Spill an entire coca cola in the floor boards? Spare bottle of gear oil leak all over everything? thats all no problem. Thats the best part of this vinyl flooring in my opinion. It IS worth the headache of the install, especially now that we have tried to give you a true understanding of what you will be getting.

~James

Back