• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help and advice before I head to the U PULL IT Yard...

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

Need some advice from you experts!!!!

I have a 1989 XJ, 4.0 AW4 with about 149k

Here are my questions:

1. Need to swap my transfer case, as the PO ran it dry!! It is a 231, and I got a old 242AMC to replace the old one. Besides for the shift gate, is there anything else I should look for at the wrecking yard before I start the switch?

2. Does it matter that the rubber splash guard under the motor and radiator is missing on my Jeep? Should I look for one? If so, does it matter what year?

3. I am thinking of a small lift for the XJ, nothing big, since I know I need to change the shocks anyway. Is there a small lift package available that is decent? This will be used for going skiing and light off road!

Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend!!!!!!!

RG:rolleyes:

1. I don't know but I know that there are tons of threads about that swap.

2. Keeps mud out of your alternator. That being said, I tore mine off 7 years ago and have had no ill effects. If you can find one cheap, might as well get it. If not, don't sweat it.

3. Search the web. How tall are you going? If you're only looking for an inch or 2, coil spacers and shackles can be had cheap.

Howdy,

Need some advice from you experts!!!!

I have a 1989 XJ, 4.0 AW4 with about 149k

Here are my questions:

1. Need to swap my transfer case, as the PO ran it dry!! It is a 231, and I got a old 242AMC to replace the old one. Besides for the shift gate, is there anything else I should look for at the wrecking yard before I start the switch?

2. Does it matter that the rubber splash guard under the motor and radiator is missing on my Jeep? Should I look for one? If so, does it matter what year?

3. I am thinking of a small lift for the XJ, nothing big, since I know I need to change the shocks anyway. Is there a small lift package available that is decent? This will be used for going skiing and light off road!

Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend!!!!!!!

RG:rolleyes:

1. Count the splines. An 89 should be 21 splines, but not always.
2. I've heard alot of things the splash guard is "supposed" to do....keep mud out of the alternator, direct air flow to keep the engine at proper running temp, or just keep some of the leaking oil off your driveway...but I always tear them off. It is much easier to work on it from the bottom with it out of the way.
3. For a small lift, you probably want a BB (budget boost). They usually consist of poly spacers for the front and either shackles or an add-a-leaf for the rear.

Back