• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trussing 8.8

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
after a bit of searching I am finding very little info or pics about trussing an 8.8
TNT has the truss already, but I have a length of 2x4 3/16 wall here and am wondering if its worth the time and effort to use it in a truss.
the axle is waiting to go in, stitch welded the tubes, cleaned it up, and getting new brake parts to put in it.
I am leaving leafs in the rear, but since the axle is still waiting some parts, I figured I could use this steel to beef it up.

for those in the know, is it worth it, can it be done with 2x4 and does anyone have some pics or drawings of what I should be doing. the TNT picture I could only find 2 of.
thanks

I never seem to ask the right questions.

Well more searching has turned up this crazy 8.8 build-up. I am not looking to go that crazy at all... wow, thats some time and money.

So if I end up building one I'll try and take some pics to post up.

if you have the stuff then you might as well do it now befor you install it. i would personally rather truss the d30 as the 8.8 is strong enough to take a hell of a beating.

As long as you welded the tubes, I wouldn't worry too much about the 8.8. They can handle a LOT of abuse.

-----Matt-----

I would agree with that....BUT, if you have the time, money and means to do it, Why not?

Overkill? Yeah, probably so but, who cares.:D

Well this is good info. I guess thats why there are not many 8.8 truss write-ups... it may not be needed.

Well than my next dilemma, I have one D30 under my rig now... 4.10 Aussie, skidded LCA mounts all else stock. Another in the garage, same cept for... 5/8" drilled knuckles, and one badly bent LCA mount which was then skidded anyway by the P/O.

I can sell whichever axles I don't drop in (Chryco 8.25 and whichever D30)... maybe its worth it to truss the one D30 and just buy new LCA mounts for it.

Well that means I can get the 8.8 in that much sooner, and can waste a bit of time to get the other D30 ready.

Thanks for the help all.

yeah i would truss whichever one is you better d30.

I have no pictures of an 8.8 being trussed, but I did use 2x6 box when we did my brothers D44. It started out as a TJ rubicon housing with the smaller weaker tubes. Here's a few pictures.

Justin

DSC05822.jpg

DSC05824.jpg

All painted up with the Ruff Stuff cover.
DSC05838.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

if the tnt 8.8 truss is anywhere near as nice as their 44 truss, i would say buy the tnt truss it is worth every penny! mine fit absolutely perfect and is beef.
im not a big fan of tube trusses, from aesthetics.

That my friend takes a little time....D44, functioning factory air locker, lincoln disk brakes, and of course a Ruff stuff cover. Nothing special, but it it will do. It look alot better than the 8.8 in my rig.

Get a 44, and I'll set it up for you Jim

Back