• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine squeak without belt

captainviv

NAXJA Forum User
i have a constant squeak . sounds just like a loose belt , BUT , i have removed the belt then started engine and squeak is still there .....
2000 xj automatic
any help would be appreciated

could be the bearings in one of the pulleys. maybe try spinning the differant pulleys and checking for wobble/tightness? hard to tell, but you sound certain it is in the serpentine system? (ie, it sounds like a squeeling belt)

it is not in the serpentine system , as i have removed the belt completely for engine . then started , and noise still there . sounds like a ticking loose belt ????? oil pressure good 30 - 35 .

Could the intake be whistling? Maybe it's an injector? Something in the distributor? Could it be something in the valvetrain (just guessing there). Otherwise x2 on bad bearing somewhere. Maybe a mechanic's stethoscope would help track it down, I got one for $5 at HF and I love it.

crawl up under it and verify the harmonic balancer is not rubbing on the timing cover. They are known to breakdown and begin to separate at the rubber ring and that'll allow the outter ring to walk backwards toward the timing cover.

Back