• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Seal question

mlrsmasterguns

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 XJ Pioneer with a Dana 44 rear axle. The passenger side wheel seal started leaking, so I changed the bearing and seal. While doing this I noticed there is no inner seal as I've seen on other Dana 44 axles, but it is listed in the parts manuals of the local autoparts stores. Since Its leaking again, do I need this inner seal? should it have been there? or did I monkey up the install and need to do it again. Thanks for any help.

disk brakes? or stock oem axle found as-is? besides the retainer plate(this is a a d44 axle modified for disc brakes via differant retainer plates), the axle shaft should look like this, the seal is outward of the bearing, and the retainer plate seats it in the housing. a little rtv helps.
cvdisc02.jpg

ive had problems with both my xj d44s blowing seals on the passenger side, allthough those were probably due to operator/installer error.
i am not a classically trained mechanic, but i think if there was NO SEAL, it would dump oil. were the retaining bolts tight?

ps, you didnt monkey up the install... unless you pressed your new bearings on yourself (i have a shop do mine)
its most likely the machine shop forgot something?

No inner seal on the XJ Dana 44. Make sure the shaft is nice and smooth where it contacts the seal. Put a thin film of RTV around the outside of the seal where it presses into the end of the axle tube. Also make sure to put a little grease on the mating surface of the seal where it contacts the shaft. This will prevent it from getting worn before the gear oil has had a chance to works it's way into the seal.

Back