• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex plate, Torque converter or ??

Bugboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a strange noise coming out from under the XJ. it seems to happen under load or if i am starting out from a complete stop on a turn or something like that. it sounds almost like a SLip and rattle at the same time. I am new to automatics so not sure what the possible problem could be. I was thinking torque converter but then someone mentioned about the flex plate. I have no idea with an automatic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bug

It could be a number of things ranging from a bad u-joint to crap stuck in the brakes. We'd need more info to hepl you diagnose it.

Do a search on the forums for cracked flex plate for tons of info. That sounds more like a bad knocking near the rear of the engine. Basically, you need to pull off the inspection cover on the forward face of the bellhousing and look up at the flex plate for cracks. Gently prying with a screw driver can help reveal crack near the center.

I did try to search but will try again how you suggested. But i dont think it is the flex plate if you are saying that it sounds more like knocking. It sounds like slipping and chattering almost like a clutch would. probably torque converter or maybe even trans. I do have a ujoint going out but that is definitely not the same sound. will try a search of torque converter. i guess.

It must be me but i am not able to search correctly i guess. when searching for torque converter i get many pages and pretty much about 1 or 2 things related to what i am searching for. anyway if anyone could tell me what a bad torque converter sounds like or acts like i would appreciate it. would the odds of the converter going bad be better then the trans going bad? It is a 95 XJ sport. Lightly offroaded mainly trails. 146000 miles. just changed fluids tranny fluid doesnt smell burnt nor colored dark.

Last edited:
usually when the TC goes out you just get alot of slippage and hesitation. check your motor mounts, tranny mount, and exhaust mounts and see if they are all ripped apart. check the cheap stuff first ;)

:cheers:

yep if i really give it gas to start out it will slip. My wife says she doesnt have the problem at all so maybe i am a lead foot and am just slipping the TC or maybe my wife just refuses to think that she could be hurting her jeep.

How hard is it to chang ethe torque converter on one of these. i did it on a 32 ford but nothing else. do i need to pull the eng. to get at it?

Once again i am sorry if this has been repeated over and over , i just cant find anything on my particular problem here.

sean

yep if i really give it gas to start out it will slip. My wife says she doesnt have the problem at all so maybe i am a lead foot and am just slipping the TC or maybe my wife just refuses to think that she could be hurting her jeep.

How hard is it to chang ethe torque converter on one of these. i did it on a 32 ford but nothing else. do i need to pull the eng. to get at it?

Once again i am sorry if this has been repeated over and over , i just cant find anything on my particular problem here.

sean

Just a thought here,why don't you and the wife go for a ride in HER jeep and you ride shotgun then see if it slips with her driving it. The one thing i have learned in life is never,never argue with a woman,she says it doesn't slip,ok make her prove it.
redeye202

you dont need to pull the engine, just the trans. its a pain in the ass getting to the bolts but it can be done. i would drop the transmission pan and change the filter, check the fluid for discoloration. it should be bright red like blood. if its a golden or brown color its burned, and you have excess heat building up in the transmission.

Just a thought here,why don't you and the wife go for a ride in HER jeep and you ride shotgun then see if it slips with her driving it. The one thing i have learned in life is never,never argue with a woman,she says it doesn't slip,ok make her prove it.
redeye202

heheh I hear that! I am going to try that tonight. Pretty sure if she gets on the throttle at start it is going to slip and make that freakin noise! good advise.

I think most likely i will also pull the pan and change the filter etc. the color on the dipstick is not dark nor was it when i drained it a few weeks back. IS there any additive to help out with this?

sean

Back