• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 wast of money?

Dan2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright, heres my problem i have a hp d30 with 4.88s that are about two months old and so far i have spent about a 1000 on this axle (axle, ball joints, gears and install) and now both the hubs have play in them. not a big deal but whats the point of just getting new ones when they are just going to go bad again in less than a year. And the mounts are pretty rusty and bent up So i was thinking of getting the tnt truss and lower ca mounts and warn hub kit. i would run stock shafts so that is the weak point not the ring and pinion. but that is about 1750 and i could probably put a d44 in for close to that.
well i guess what i am asking is would you put anymore money into the 30 or just go 44 because i feel that i am gonna be wasting money on the 30 but i am probably thinking that because everyone on pirate says a 30 is a piece. oh and i have 33s but dont plan to go any bigger than 35s or lock the front
thanks for your input if this makes any sense tou you, Dan

Put new timken hubs on it and they will last you years. $75 at rock auto.

Put new spicer balljoints in it, and they will last you years. $90 for all 4 from Loose-Nuts-Enterprises.

Put alloy-usa CrMo shafts with 760's in and you won't break shafts all that often (or never), and they have a 10 year warantee.

JKS miniskids or a TNT truss, and call it done.

I spent *thousands* of dollars on my dana 30. If I had to do it over again, I'd have whats above.]

People who tell you the 30 is junk, are clueless. Its as strong or stronger than a low pinion 44, and has the same weak links as a high pinion 44 - but it weighs less.

thanks for the help i think i will get the bearings and truss for now. and i was just looking at 4wheel and offroad ultimate adventure artical and it says that trent mcgee's buggy runs 37s on built 30 and 8.8 so i guess an xj on 33 or 35s would be fine. (effin pirate makin me think i need a 60 and 14b)

Put new timken hubs on it and they will last you years. $75 at rock auto.

Put new spicer balljoints in it, and they will last you years. $90 for all 4 from Loose-Nuts-Enterprises.

Put alloy-usa CrMo shafts with 760's in and you won't break shafts all that often (or never), and they have a 10 year warantee.

JKS miniskids or a TNT truss, and call it done.

I spent *thousands* of dollars on my dana 30. If I had to do it over again, I'd have whats above.]

People who tell you the 30 is junk, are clueless. Its as strong or stronger than a low pinion 44, and has the same weak links as a high pinion 44 - but it weighs less.

Glad to know that I have a good axle with all the above. :)

thanks for the help i think i will get the bearings and truss for now. and i was just looking at 4wheel and offroad ultimate adventure artical and it says that trent mcgee's buggy runs 37s on built 30 and 8.8 so i guess an xj on 33 or 35s would be fine. (effin pirate makin me think i need a 60 and 14b)

Crap, I need to go get that. I grew up with Tom Cherry in Iowa and he made it onto that Ultimate Adventure. Talked to him yesterday, he's going to try and make Moab for Fri/Sat.
With the "Ultimate" rig that he drove in the adventure.

My 30:

Dana 30
Housing taken to bare tube and sleeved in 3x.250" DOM
Trussed with 2x4 .250" by Overkill Fabrications
Custom axle bracketry (.188 and .250) by Overkill Fabrications
Inner C's rotated for 12 degrees pinion and 6 caster
WJ knuckles with JKS spacer
WJ brakes
WJ ball joints (moog)
WJ style steering over the knuckle
JKS tie rod, 1.25x.375" with WJ ends
Custom draglink, 1.25x.188" with high misalignment 1 ton ends
Custom trackbar, 1.25x.250" with RE upper and 7/8" rod end lower, RE bracket+brace
2" Superflex joints for axle UCA bushings
ARB air locker, 30 spline
Alloy-USA 30 spline 4130 inner shafts
Warn 5x5.5 30 spline hub kit
CTM u-joints
Precision 4.88 gears, Precision install kit
Alloy-USA tube seals
U-bolt yoke
Crane CrMo diff cover

Housing1.jpg

Housing2.jpg

steering.jpg

I have *NO FEAR* on 35's. Throttle down and go.

I'd probably not try and run 37's though.

The crossover steering, and bigger brakes.

I don't have time to dig up a good writeup on them, hopefully someone will post one.

I ran 33's on my stock d30 with no problems. I then upgraded to 36's and so far Ive only broke a axle u-joint. If you got the money get what Cal dude says, Ive many of his posts, knows what hes talking about.

hell i run a lp30 out of a tj stock shafts and joints with 4.56s and a lockrite...bash the hell out of it with 35s..just busted a joint or two...

Back