• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt snapped during stock shackle removal

97xjcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been working hard this weekend to get my 1.5in. Teraflex BB installed and all has went well until just a little bit ago. In the process of removing the stock shackles I snapped the upper shackle to frame bolt. I was able to get both upper and lower shackle bolts out on the passenger side using PB blaster, heat, and a breaker bar. Using the same method on the drivers side I just about had the upper bolt out of the nut welded inside the frame rail when...SNAP! the bolt broke(not the welded nut as most people have trouble with).

I might be able to heat the remaining bolt up really friggin hot and lock some vice-grips on it and get it out but i ran out of daylight so I haven't tried it yet. If this doesn't work does anybody have any ideas on how to get the remaining piece out? There really isn't room to drill the bolt out or to use an extractor. The only other thing I can think of is to drop the gas tank and drill through the frame rail to the bolt and drill it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!x10

The only other thing I can think of is to drop the gas tank and drill through the frame rail to the bolt and drill it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!x10

thats probably what you are going to have to do. they can be a realy bitch to get out. search for "broken bolt" to see what others have done to get em out. i had the front leaf spring bolt snap the nut loose, that was a real PITA.

whatever you do, remember to put lots of anti-sieze on the new bolts when you put em back in, so this doesnt happen again.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I did search for 'broken bolt' and came up with an interesting solution of welding a nut to the end of the bolt...unfortunately the nut kept breaking off when I tried. I think tomorrow the gas tank is coming out so I can access the bolt from the back side...hopefully I will be able to get a bolt extractor on it or drill it out:dunno:

Back