• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case swap

Gascan340

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to if it is possible to install a Rubicon transfer case into my 88 xj. I know some people have done the swap with the newer xj’s but I think they all had the electric speedo and different input shaft. Any guidance would be greatly helpful.

dont know anything about an 88. But i have a rubi case in place of my 231 in a 93 xj. Didnt bother even thinking about the speedo stuff cuz i dont care.

if you have a 23 spline 231 in your 88 then it will swap, just might not have a speedo anymore...

I got my rocktrac case for $800 rebuilt.

I would like to if it is possible to install a Rubicon transfer case into my 88 xj. I know some people have done the swap with the newer xj’s but I think they all had the electric speedo and different input shaft. Any guidance would be greatly helpful.

The rubicon tcase has a 23 spline input shaft. Your 88 has a 21 spine shaft in the tranny. I believe they went to 23 spline in 92. The speedo sensor is electronic, the 88 is mechanical IIRC. The 4wd dash light connector is also different.

The dash light can be fixed by JB and the tranny is not a problem i can always swap the tranny or mybe the shaft i just dont know how to overcome the speedo.

Depending on how much time and money you have into your 88, It would, most likely not be cost effective. Your best solution is to get the 4:1 with 21 spline input. Even if you were to replace your Peugeot Trans with a AW4 you will still be out of pocket more than the 4:1 because of the, TCU, vacuum disconnect, and the cable speedo.

If you are super determined, an inexpensive GPS will solve your speedo issues very hassle free. Just don't let the state inspectioner drive your rig.

Complete 21spl 4:1 units with HD internals are out there, you just have to ask someone that builds them. Get a std SYE and the cable speedo adapter will fit right in.
you are looking to spend around 1800 by the time it is all done, unless you do everything yourself, then maybe 1500.00(with rebuild parts)

121507099.jpg

4:1HD with Std SYE

I have an auto with about 290XXX it still works great but its not that big of a deal to which a tranny i justed didnt know weather anyone out there had overcome the cable by simply swaping out the guages and wires form say a 91+rig. the fact that im able to pick up a rube case for 800 blows that idea of rebuilding a weaker unit. thanks if anyone else has more input it would be great!!

I bought a 23 spline aw4 for $200 a couple weeks ago, and have it mated to a rubi 241or sitting in the garage right now - will be swapping them into my jeep in the next week or two, figure I'll use my GPS as a speedo for now.

Supposedly you can swap in a 91-95 instrument cluster and get the speedo working again with some mild trickery, but I haven't really investigated yet.

that is what im trying to do i have a 93 instrument cluster which i got for free so if all it takes is to swap the speedo and wires then i will try it. I not a big fan of not being able to pass state inpections.

I don't know if that works or not. I've heard conflicting rumors about it..

Back