• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seroentine belt tension

scottyrock

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced the AC compressor today. Is it possible to have the belt too tight? Reason I ask is it sounds like the bearings in the power steering pumg pulley may be strained a little. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

NAPA, $14, Krikit II belt tension gauge, fits in your pocket like a pen...

RichP said:
NAPA, $14, Krikit II belt tension gauge, fits in your pocket like a pen...

They never seem to stock them when Im there. Also, they argue its not for serp. belts whenever I ask for one. One counter guy was nice about it and called the manufacturer who said it Does work to his surprise.

This will get you close.

Pick an area on the belt where it runs a good distance between pulleys.

Press down on the belt in the center of the run with two fingers . The belt should only have about 1/4 inch. movement with med. pressure.

The best way is a tension gauge but this will get you close.

If the belt is noisy then tighten intill noise quits.

Nick

Spec are 190lbs new, new being one that has run less than 15 minutes, 170lbs used, used being one run longer than 15 minutes.

190lbs new, 170lbs used? How do you use that spec? Is it a torque for the nut that positions PS Pump, if so, then is it in-lbs or ft-lbs. Or is the spec a reference to the tension on the belt itself, which how do you measure that? The Krikit II Tool?

ehall said:
The Kricket gives you the tension. You push it against a flat spot in the belt, and a little armature pops up to tell you how much tension you've got.
Yup and it clicks when you push it down.

iwannadie said:
They never seem to stock them when Im there. Also, they argue its not for serp. belts whenever I ask for one. One counter guy was nice about it and called the manufacturer who said it Does work to his surprise.

The Krikit I is for old-fashioned v-belts. The Krikit II is for serpentine belts. The confusion arises because instead of calling it a serpentine belt, they call it a "v-ribbed belt".

Item#: NBHKR2

Price: $13.69
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
Belt Type:V-RIBBED BELT
Product Features: DESIGNED FOR TENSIONING V-RIBBED BELTS ON PASSENGER CARS
LIGHT TRUCKS & BUSES. V-RIBBED BETL TENSION RANGES ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN STANDARD V-BELT RANGES & REQUIRE EXTREMELY ACCURATE TENSIONING PROVIDE

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...PartNumber=KR2&Description=Belt+Tension+Gauge

NAPA make/sells 2 krikits one for v belts and one for serpentine belts.
This is the serpentine one HERE

Just picked up the Krikit II, the Krikit I will be in, in the morning. Pretty clever little device.

I've got an aluminum Underdrive Pulley (UDP) on my little Neon R/T, it has a Micro-V belt and regular old V belt. I just pulled the current UDP off and threw it away. The softer aluminum chews up really easy if the belt slips or has to much pressure. So I'm hoping these tools will help me keep the belts adjusted to just the right tension, thus preserving my new UDP a little longer.

As well, I'm waiting for a new AC Clutch Bearing and Gates Serpentine Belt for the XJ. Hopefully, with the Krikit II and the new parts, I'll finally get rid of the last of the squealing coming from my accessories.

BTW, the Bearing in the AC clutch, is it a press in/out? or retained in the clutch with a snap ring? If its press out, I'm guessing the only way to do it, is to ruin the old bearing by pressing it out with pressure on the center race? Is this correct?

Ok, I finally got my Krikit II however Im confused as to where to measure it lol.

I tried the longest spot on the passenger side between Ac and Alt., I get no reading. It presses until it clicks and the yellow arm is bottomed out. I then tried the top right next to the PS pump and water pump with the same results.

Is my belt just That loose or am I doing something wrong, the instructions with the gauge are kinda vague. It seems like such a simple tool and is making me feel stupid now ha.

Back