• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground (dipstick)

Evan463

NAXJA Forum User
98xj 4.0 Stupid question. Wondering if anyone has ever experienced the ground on the dipstick being not connected and everything working flawlessly.

There are other grounds I think. Just connect that ground and have fun. Now with a older model like my 89 that would lead to the worst driving Jeep ever. :D

i do not mean a litteral dipstick ground. im talking about the block ground at the support bracket for the dipstick. dipstick was being used as a reference for location only.

Got it. I had to go look. The wire coming off the wiring harness and attaching to the block at the dipstic support?

Yah, I'd hook that up if I were you.

haha yehh im thinking about it... however ive been driving with it off since i baught it nearly 3 years ago... only thing ive had an issue with is 12mpg but i figured 31s and a heavy foot was to blame for that... maybe thats still the case...

OverTheHillsATTW said:
There are other grounds I think. Just connect that ground and have fun. Now with a older model like my 89 that would lead to the worst driving Jeep ever. :D
I had all kinds of problems with my 89; sometimes it wouldn't turn over (only click), then the transmission wouldn't shift into OD, lighting problems, etc.

I drove it that way for almost two years, continually searching for a solution, until one day I happened to touch the nut at the dipstick mount. Guess what, the nut was only finger tight, and looked to have been that way from the factory. After tightening it down, the Jeep ran great with all the previous problems gone, for as long as I owned it......

Back