• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange vibration in 1st.

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's the deal. I got my 2WD jeep stuck in some soft sand the day after a rainstorm in the desert. I stopped under a tree to get some water from the back. When I put it in reverse, the tires spun and dug themselves into a hole. I put it in D hoping maybe going the other direction would help, but no luck. I quickly dug the back wheels into a hole to the point where the rear axle and gas tank were sitting on level ground, and the wheels were just free spinning in the air (err, i mean hole). Unfortunately, though I had a shovel on me, no amount of digging seemed to help much.

However, in my attempts to get the vehicle out of this hole, I noticed that my rear brakes didn't work very well. I would put the tranny in "R", hit the brakes, put it in "D", but I heard a grinding noise. Obviously the wheels hadn't stopped backwards, but since they were free-spinning in the air and I had my foot on the brakes I had no idea. My rear brakes seem to have almost no affect (not good, shall look into that soon)

THE PROBLEM:
Ever since finally getting the Jeep pulled out of the hole, I have had a weird vibration and grinding noise when I take off from a complete stop. Once the tranny shifts out of first gear, I seem to have no vibrations or noises. I notice that the harder I take off, the more pronounced the vibration and noise. I have checked, the driveshaft, differential, axel, brakes, leaf springs, etc all look perfectly fine. Any ideas what might be causing this weird vibration and grinding sound?

Back