• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one ton steering angles

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i recently upgraded to one-ton steering, the JCR offroad kit. basically, if you dunno, its a knuckle to knuckle tie rod where the draglink connects to the TRE on the passenger side. i have the tires toed in about 3/16"s of an inch, and i didnt get the steering wheel perfectly centered, but its close. the drag link and track bar are parallel. rolling on old ass 33" bias ply swampers that are unevenly worn and most likely not as balanced as they once were.

i have no bumpsteer at all and the steering is very tight. only problems i am having is a slight wander (random; all speeds) and at 50-55mph i am getting wobbles (not even close to DW, just enough to freak out passengers, and be annoying) no wobbles at other speeds, and they are not bump-induced, come and go with 50-55mph only each and every time.

i keep telling myself the wobble is from the old tires, and if i were to get new ones it would go away. i never had any wobble since i lifted the jeep, but i still think its the tires, perhaps it was getting progressively worse and i never noticed till i got knuckle to knucle TR.

yall think it could just be the tires? or maybe bad angles?

-Tim

all replaced when lift went on last year:
track bar mount reinforced, new trackbarm, new steering gear box, new ball joints, new TRE (obviously), new uca and lca, new shocks, new springs, new swaybar bushings, new stabilizer, even new lug nuts.

are your tb and dl parallel? if so, probably the tires

the wandering and wobbles could be the alignment...double check that

CommandTrac vs SelectTrac get different toe-in's. What year is yours?

Have someone wiggle your steering wheel while the engine is running and take a look.

Hopefully you didnt taper the knuckles and pitman arm too much...

EricT said:
are your tb and dl parallel? if so, probably the tires
yes they are about as parallel as they could possibly be.

djblade311 said:
CommandTrac vs SelectTrac get different toe-in's. What year is yours?

mines a 1990. had selectrac, swapped in for a 231 with HD SYE. the only reason for the different toe in (0* vs about 1/8") is because of the full time option.

the tires are toed about 1/16" in more than what is recommended.

tealcherokee said:
not enough castor will cause a wander at all speeds, check that out.
thanks ill look into that for my wander

-Tim

I get that same vibration at around 55mph. Its annoying. I just finished a high steer setup and my tb and dl are parallel, just had my new tires tires balanced and front end aligned. Cant find any play when i had a friend rotate steering wheel. My DW was cured but i still get that vibe around 55..cant figure it out. I need new u joints and diff. fluid change but other than that cant figure it out.

You need 5 steering stabilizers to get rid or wobble issues. Works like gangbusters.........

Nah I have some 36 swampers that do the same thing. Do the airsoft balance trick.

When my Swamper Radials were on as a daily tire they did the same. I bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor for my daily driving and kept the swampers for oofroad. Needless to say the wobbling in my steering was dramatically reduced.

I am in the process of redoing my front end and due to the wobbling tires my left hub was worn, my left upper and lower control arm bushing were shot.

good suggestions so far, Id like to add that this setup especially with lots of lift, steering input through the drag link rotates the tie rod some degree before transmitting the steering angle to the tires. This creates a dead spot in the steering offering a little bit of play for any excitation like your unbalanced swampers to wobble at certain speeds.
Ive been battling the same problems, whenever I get the money Ill get good tires and change the setup to remove the inherent play. You can try to lock the tie rod down by rotating each tie rod end in the opposite direction and tightening the jam nuts so it does not rotate but loosen it up off road or it can get bound up and break easier.

I have that kit and did a write up for them. I have zero issues at all.

Sounds like worn, uneven, bias ply tires could easily cause your problem.

Back