• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remi, don't you move this thread.....

TheWarWagon

NAXJA Forum User
Alright gentleman, this is a non jeep vehicle but still I need some help. A coworker of mine has his differential grenade the other day on the freeway. He has a '98 Ford Ranger, 4wd, 5 speed manual, 3.0 motor. While on the back of the tow to his mechanics shop, the axle shaft separated from the assembly and spit the tire out onto the freeway. Low and behold his mechanic found a diff at pickapart in Long Beach, but wants $525 for it, plus labor install. Now here's where you guys come into play; does anyone know of any Ford 7.5" 3.73 rear ends for sale? Or, do any of you guys have a connection on hunting one down? I've placed a few "want ads" on dezertrangers.com, etc. Oh, his mechanic is also charging him $100 a day storage fee.

Does the mechanic have 100 a day posted as his storage fee in the office?

35 to 45 is reasonable daily storage

IslanderOffRoad said:
Does the mechanic have 100 a day posted as his storage fee in the office?

35 to 45 is reasonable daily storage

Damn, I need to post one of those signs!

I think I'd pay the five bills for the rearend...your friend will pay for it either way.

Mechanics make money on parts, if they don't, they roll down their doors permanently. If you take away the couple hundred that he is making on the rearend, then he WILL get it another way. More labor, phoney stuff wrong, or in this case...Storage.

Plus...If you get a rearend from PAP and he installs it and finds something is wrong...guess who gets to pay him to take it back out again? On top of that, then you get to go rearend shopping again while he sits back and collects rent. If he buys the rearend from a junkyard and installs it, finds something wrong...then HE eats it and they bring him a new rearend, meanwhile, you're not paying storage since the delay is his fault.

Sorry If I sound like I'm ranting...but I deal with this scenario alot. People don't seem to understand that the markup on parts is what pays for warranty...even if its the manufacturers problem.

yeah but price gouging is still not right. a fair markup is fine in my book but a complete rear end from most yards is under $250 hell ive bought drum to drum rears for less than $200. $525 + labor is rediculas concidering its what maybe 2 hours of work if he's slow

dzraces said:
yeah but price gouging is still not right. a fair markup is fine in my book but a complete rear end from most yards is under $250 hell ive bought drum to drum rears for less than $200. $525 + labor is rediculas concidering its what maybe 2 hours of work if he's slow
I hate to break it to you, but if he is getting that rear delivered to him from a yard...$525 is a steal. The last used rear I had to get cost me $600...I sold it top the customer for $700. The typical markup on new parts is about 50%, on used it can vary from 10-100% depending on what it is and how hard it is to get.

And thats 2 hours of labor to get it out of one and into another, right?

You think that $525 is gouging because you can go get it from PAP for $100. I gaurantee that any shop does not have the time to send someone to PAP to look for a rearend, and if they have it, bring it back.

If I leave my shop to go parts hunting I would have to charge $70/hr for the ENTIRE amount of time I was gone because thats what I would be losing by not being there to turn wrenches. Now if I call the junkyards...the ones that deliver...then I can stay at the shop and make my $70/hr by actually doing something.

People are often upset about the price of repairs...the people who are most upset are the ones that are used to doing things themselves, but for whatever reason cant this time around. When I was in Seattle a couple years ago, it cost me $2200 dollars to have a trans rebuilt in my S10. I was furious because I knew I could have done it myself for half that (even paying myself for labor), but I didn't have much choice in the matter. This is my point...Sometimes its cheaper to pay for what you need.

Speaking from the insurance end, and keeping in mind that I deal with body shops, not mechanical...

if i want to use recycled parts to repair someone's car, i locate the parts for the shop. i give them the name and number of the yard, a price, and a reference number... then i give them a 20% mark up so they make some money on the parts.

100 a day storage is unreasonable in my mind.

if your friend really wants to do this on the cheap, he shouldn't have had it towed to the shop, it should have went home where he can use whatever parts he wants from whatever yard, and doesn't have to pay labor.

and i'm in full agreement about bringing your own parts to a shop. you don't go buy a steak and take it to outback and ask them to cook it do you?

i know a few shops i've dealt with have told me if you want an a/m replacement/upgrade part (such as a 3 core rad) they'd rather I buy it and bring it in so that I get the right part... granted thats a mechanic i've been dealing with for 5 years.

TheWarWagon said:
Alright gentleman, this is a non jeep vehicle but still I need some help. A coworker of mine has his differential grenade the other day on the freeway. He has a '98 Ford Ranger, 4wd, 5 speed manual, 3.0 motor. While on the back of the tow to his mechanics shop, the axle shaft separated from the assembly and spit the tire out onto the freeway. Low and behold his mechanic found a diff at pickapart in Long Beach, but wants $525 for it, plus labor install. Now here's where you guys come into play; does anyone know of any Ford 7.5" 3.73 rear ends for sale? Or, do any of you guys have a connection on hunting one down? I've placed a few "want ads" on dezertrangers.com, etc. Oh, his mechanic is also charging him $100 a day storage fee.

Call Carlos at A&R Auto in Gardena.. He has what your looking for. He would also install it for a fair price as well.. Tell him that Scott sent you.. I have known him for 20 years and I do his diffs... Pm ME for the phone #

Scott.

PS.. You get what you pay for in the end...If you pay a good price for good work, or a cheap price for shoddy work..its your choice... A good wrench knows his price...

The 7.5 is crap - my dad blew one up... He ended up putting another one in because he was under the gun.

IF I were your buddy I'd consider an 8.8.. If it's a 4x4 truck he'll have to have the perches flipped on the axle (unless he gets lucky and finds on out of a 4x4 Ranger) but 3.73:1 8.8's are NOT an uncommon axle.

Back