• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver-Hitch fit REALLY universal '86-'01??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone who really knows confirm that receiver-hitch fit is, indeed, universal across all model-years??

Thanks.

Just get the one made for it do not bother with universal hitches.. What year are you looking for and are you looking for the front or rear reciever?

For the easiest install, try to get the factory nut-plates that slide into the frame rails (you have to remove the rear bumper).
My experience with the after market hitches is they come with a number of pieces of square flat plate, with a square hole stamped in each one. Using a long piece of wire, you need to "snake" each plate and associated carriage bolt inside the frame to each hole--a pain in the ass!

xjbubba said:
For the easiest install, try to get the factory nut-plates that slide into the frame rails (you have to remove the rear bumper).
My experience with the after market hitches is they come with a number of pieces of square flat plate, with a square hole stamped in each one. Using a long piece of wire, you need to "snake" each plate and associated carriage bolt inside the frame to each hole--a pain in the ass!

I used a coat hanger with a hook on the end, looped over with a piece of fishing line about 24" long. On the other end of the fishing line I had tied around the first couple of threads on the bolt I was fishing through. It took very little effort to put the coat hanger through the hole I was working on, grab the fishing line, and pull the bolt all the way in. Nut plates would have been easier, but this hardware came with the hitch and I wouldn't want to go running around looking for the plates.

Not in my experience.

I owned a 94 4X4 that had a rusty old receiver on it. As part of the cleanup of the vehicle, I took it off, had it sandblasted and powdercoated, and reinstalled.
After daughter #1 had thoroughly trashed the vehicle, I purchased a '01 2wd to be my daily driver. With both sitting in the drive, I unbolted from the 94 and tried to bolt up to the '01. Gas tank was in the way on the '01, and I worked and worked to see what the issue was.

This board is full of those that will insist that the fitment is the same from first year of the Cherokee to the last. I believed that, until I tried this particular switch.

In this process, I went to the local U-Haul shop and just asked them about
moving the hitch from my old to new(er) jeep. Experienced installer just started shaking his head no.

just my $.02

Good Luck !

I tend to agree with the immediately-previous post....

That, as I had purchased a used Reese hitch from a gent who said he has sold over 100 used XJ hitches...to I assumed he had a bit of insight. I found that the crossmember hit the lower-rear edge of the tank with 1.5-2" gap left before the flanges would contact the sub-frames. He suggested that the config. may have changed during the '99 model year.... Certainly left real doubt for me, indeed..........................

Back