• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Friends of Johnson Valley

Jump This

Just another minion!
We had a meeting on Monday in Corona.
Attended by myself along with Dave Taylor and Paul Sinclair.

I wanted to post a link to the minutes from the meeting, but they have not been posted yet. So, rather than waiting for them, I'll give a short review.

Dave Cole (president of FOJV) opened the meeting and got right into the minutes from the last meeting. We discussed where we are and where we might be going. This is where having the official minutes would help.

It is the overall view that the Marines are interested in working with the user groups to, at very least, take our situation into consideration when they make thier final recommendation for land acquisition. But we do have another issue. Wind turbine farms. There is already preliminary plans to install a smallish farm out there. The position we are taking is that we are not interested in losing any land. Not to wind farms and not to the Marines.
But, we may already have lost land to the wind farm. I'll post more details on that (or at least a link to the details.)

We installed a Board of Directors. I will be on the board.

I know this is a short version, I promise to give more detailed information as soon as I return from Big Bear on Wednesday of next week.

Rick

Thanks for the up-date. I had heard the wind farm was a done deal 6 months ago, and will go forward. The deal is done, but they will allow access right up to the wind turbine, so it was not going to close many trails. Like I believe that!

FordGuy said:
Thanks for the up-date. I had heard the wind farm was a done deal 6 months ago, and will go forward. The deal is done, but they will allow access right up to the wind turbine, so it was not going to close many trails. Like I believe that!

I can't say for sure. It sounds as though they are putting every effort into making it work, but I don't even know the area well enough to say.

It bugs me that any land 'taken' by outside interests only have to pay 5K per acre. Of course they say that all that money will be installed into a trust fund operated by the user groups, but what if there was an entity (County of San Bernardino?) that wanted to operate the land as an off road vehicle park?
Would the BLM charge that kind of money for 100K acres? Will the military pay for the land they want?
What the hell will it buy us if we get that money?
Anyplace else that has what Johnson Valley has for us for sale at that price?

I'll keep everyone posted.

It's total B.S. And if I remember correctly, in the case of the wind farm, because they are not going to be closing the area around the turbines, they are only paying for the land the footing takes up. At 5k an acre, what would 25sq feet cost?

FordGuy said:
It's total B.S. And if I remember correctly, in the case of the wind farm, because they are not going to be closing the area around the turbines, they are only paying for the land the footing takes up. At 5k an acre, what would 25sq feet cost?

Yeah, they are only paying for the area of the base of each windmill.
Aprox. 1/2 acre each. Total of 30 acres for the project fenced.

Back