• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube Door Build

Cruzin Illusion

NAXJA Forum User
I decided that I was going to build my own tube doors with a few extra's on it. I wanted them to be a full tube door that would have a door handle to open the door like a TJ, YJ, or CJ. I also wanted to make sure the latch for the was enclosed to protect it more and to place the latch in a postion that the doors would actually follow the lines of the body. I am in the process of making a removable mirror so you can legally drive with the tube doors on the rig. I want to make sure that they look right on the door and not just an I went down to Checker and bought what was on there shelf after thought. I also was thinking of make a spot for a door speaker as well but have not decided on that yet. I have made three sets of these doors, two for a 84-96 XJ and one for an 97-01 XJ. Here are some pictures of what I have done so far.
100_2816.jpg

100_2817.jpg

100_2819.jpg

100_2821.jpg

100_2822.jpg

100_2823.jpg

100_2827.jpg

100_2828.jpg

100_2829.jpg

I finished up the build portion and am ready to clean them up, prime and paint them. Here are some of the final pictures. The set of doors I built for the 2001 XJ the owner did not want handles on his doors so they left as regular tube doors. I will still work on the mirrors and probably add the headlamp switch tab on mine. I made covers for the back portion of the door where the latches are. My brother didn't think it was necessary but I think it finishes it off.

100_2833.jpg

100_2834.jpg

100_2836.jpg

100_2837.jpg

100_2838.jpg

Since we do not really remove the tube doors in the summer except when we wash the jeep. I decided that it would be safer when driving it to and from the trail and around town to have mirrors. The problem I wanted to avoid was having them on the doors when running trails. So I sat down a designed hopefully a good looking option for removable mirrors. They are fairly easy to remove and install. It only takes one nut to remove the mirrors. This was going to be one of my options if I ever decided to sell the tube doors to the public. As of right now I think that my doors would run in upper price range and it would take someone to want a really nice set of doors to sell them. The problem with my doors is the parts that are used are nicer parts and cost more money unlike the gate latch doors that are bought at Home Depot. I also was going to work on a door speaker option. Well here are the pictures of the removable mirror for my tube doors:

mirror.jpg

mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

very nice! I'd rather go for the handles!great job:guitar:

It's crazy how good your truck looks. Why does the driver's side not have the same silver trim along the tube fenders and rails?

DeftwillP said:
It's crazy how good your truck looks. Why does the driver's side not have the same silver trim along the tube fenders and rails?

I may paint the silver portion on the tube doors after I build the speaker enclosures in the off season. The wife asked the same question and wants the lower portion of the tube doors to be silver so it will probably happen.

nickjc13 said:
He needs to open a fab shop with all the stuff he has done.

X2 I know alot of ppl that would buy this stuff too.

xxmidianxx said:
X2 I know alot of ppl that would buy this stuff too.

I have been known to build stuff for people. Cough-cough PM Cough-cough

Those things look sick.. for the mirror mount, ever think of just welding the tab for the mirror directly onto the tube door? instead of that bolt on thing?

Everytime I read one of your build threads, I am always amazed at what I see. You are very good at making things work on Jeeps. Fab skills are top notch. Everything looks good.

Very nice job.

Keil

rooneypower said:
Everytime I read one of your build threads, I am always amazed at what I see. You are very good at making things work on Jeeps. Fab skills are top notch. Everything looks good.

Very nice job.

Keil

X2, Keil you better take some notes from him and get cracking next year. ;) *cough* bumper and tube doors *cough*

-Alex

mirrors... who needs mirrors???? hell you got no door, just turn your head and look around!

any links to a writeup on the fender build... very nice

mjd99xj said:
Wow, very nice. Awesome job with the handle/latch setup. Are those Harley mirrors?

Yes they are official HD mirrors. I perfered they way they mounted versus other manufacturers.

Back