• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alpine Loop

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Ive seen a lot of posts of the Alpine loop with some amazing wilderness. Has anyone taken a trip from socal to do this trail. I would just like a little insight on the whole trip etc.

[FONT=&quot]If you are referring to the Alpine Loop, out of Durango CO, then yes, it's a very worthwhile trip.
We did it two summers ago, on the way back from Wyoming.
Not very challenging but incredible scenery and high passes, one over 13,000 feet. There was a bit of traffic in some areas with a lot of ATVs and rental Jeeps. It's a well know trail and Federal Scenic Byway.

The area around Durango and Ouray is loaded with all sorts of 4X4 trails.
Get one of the off-road guidebooks for more information on the different trails. You are going to have fun[/FONT]

Yes, done it in a mildly lifted XJ and stock tires. Plan on a whole day.

Charles Wells guidebooks are great for the area. We've been to the Silverton/Ouray area twice. First time we pulled our tent trailer and stayed at Molas Lake Campground. Awesome. Second time was for the MHJC All4Fun event. That week we rented a cabin.

I take it you guys drove the jeep up there instead of towed? Does it take about 10 hours to get there from socal?

It's about 900 miles. The first time I drove it solo and it took about 20 hours with fuel stops and a rest stop and a couple of minor sightseeing detours.

Secondtime we took two days and overnighted in Beaver, Utah.

GE caclulates a 15 hour drive time.

mavrick said:
I take it you guys drove the jeep up there instead of towed? Does it take about 10 hours to get there from socal?

While my Cherokee is my DD, we towed it to CO and beyond, behind our small motorhome. We usually take a month vacation in the summer or fall.

At 70 mph, I would guess it's a 12-14 hour drive (plus gas and food) to Silverton.

Back