• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting GPS In Your Rig

Here's an alternative.

2231393074_fc0f839e7d_m.jpg

Do you think it's legal???:dunce:

E

looks like I don't have to worry about any stinking ticket. SOB's smashed the window on my truck Monday morning & took mine:mad: So I'm with E, not Thomas guide all the way....

hellbilly04 said:
looks like I don't have to worry about any stinking ticket. SOB's smashed the window on my truck Monday morning & took mine:mad: So I'm with E, not Thomas guide all the way....

This thievery that has come about lately is starting to really chap my ass.

hellbilly04 said:

Was this at home or at work? :mad:

I have been using my illegally mounted Sirius radio for over a year.:nono:
Just this Tuesday I added my illegal cell phone mount.
Here is a pic looking over my dash about the same view I get as the driver.
Notice the cell phone on the lower left blocks the view alot more than the Sirius radio in the middle of the dash does.
But if the new law passes the cell phone mount is OK and the Sirius is still illegal :dunno:
Sometimes I just don't get our government!!!!!

2009.JPG

Craig your timing is perfect on this subject!!
Just last night I ordered my semi large screen GPS.
Of course I had to get the Lowrance BAJA 540C...just cause it had BAJA in the name and printed right on the front of it!!
Got it from TigerGPS.com for $481 with free shipping.
So I ask this question to all you guys with a large screen or semi large screen GPS.....where did you mount yours.
And don't say on your rollcage cause I don't have one of those....yet.
I'm thinking of drilling thru my glovebar door.

And yes if you had a box of $hit for sale and labeled it "primo Baja caca" I would probably buy it LOL

Carig sorry for hijacking your thread but you did label this mounting gps in your rig

BajaCurt said:
I'm thinking of drilling thru my glovebar door.
ive see them mounted there but iwould be wary of a large screen there, my glovebox door will open with a slight pull on one of the edges, even if its locked. its not a very sturdy place for it.

I mounted mine like this. I pretty much said screw it if I get a ticket then I get one. Not like the front bars from the cage are helping me any lol

IMG00109.jpg

IMG00110.jpg

Hmmmmm
So at this point I can spend $2,000 on a roll cage to mount my $500 GPS
or
I trade in my 89 XJ for a newer model so I can mount it in the dash like Rich.
I love this $hit!!!
What is it that J E E P stands for Just Empty Every Pocket?!?!
(But I really do like that mount Rich...very clean)

BajaCurt said:
And he has the 7" f-ing big screen right?

Yes sir......I have it like Craig does, but it blocks my vision a bit.....another thought is on the roof in between your visors...it fits perfectly there also

If I was solo, I might consider a different Location, its not bad,I can see it fine, but if you want to constantly mess with it, it could be a little in-convenient.

FordGuy said:
If I was solo, I might consider a different Location, its not bad,I can see it fine, but if you want to constantly mess with it, it could be a little in-convenient.
hey Rich. did you remove your airbag? if it is still in there, forsee any issues with the wiring going to the GPS getting flung out with the airbag, should it deploy? i agree, looks clean!

GrimmJeeper said:
hey Rich. did you remove your airbag? if it is still in there, forsee any issues with the wiring going to the GPS getting flung out with the airbag, should it deploy? i agree, looks clean!

It's on the Wife's side!!

I actually removed the air bag, modified the aluminum frame that held the explosive devise, then epoxied the frame to the air bag outer skin, 1/2 thick and then routered out the hole. It worked out so that the hollow frame holds all the wiring, tig welded a couple tabs on the frame so the thumb wheels hold in the GPS for easy removal.

Back