• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove plastic body panels?

xjbambuska

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up everybody? I've got a 92 xj and I was thinking about peeling those plastic panels along the bottom of the body off, to try to give it the look of the newer models, I think it'd look good when i hack my flares too. Just wondering if anybody had done it and how it turned out

yea i did and there was like a strip of gooey adhesive that was brown from dirt that got under there. Power washer and some elbow greese and its all gone

yup, or use goo gone or even paint thinner, the glue wipes right off usually, just be careful when you peel the panels off that you dont take the glue and the paint under the glue with it, sometime if its a crappy repaint the paint will peel off instead of leaving the glue behind-i fixed many a door when i worked at the body shop because of people doing exactly that

I just pulled them off my Country and the glue strips are a PITA!!! I have still not found anything that will easily remove it.

This is what my 92 looked like under the plastic.
HPIM0249.jpg

HPIM0245.jpg

JIM.

i just did both of those rip that stuff off comes off easy pulled my right off and used a razor blade to get off all the tape and to get the addhesive use bug and tar remover and a ice ice scraper easy and looks great

before
Yeah_my_jeep.jpeg

After
work_lol.jpeg

Thats a day before i trimmed it

It didn't take long after I bought it before those were gone. I ran without doing anything for a while. Then I used some roll on truck be liner and painted the whole bottom body panel and the rear quarter panel area. I think it looks great now, I get a lot of complements now. I'll try and get some pictures up for ya'll

well cool, it sounds like it worked well for most, except for illxjs, that sucks I'd be interested to see some more pics if anyone has. Thanks for the responces guys

I cant find any pics of it before hand but after looks much better with mine since its the white with the black lower.

I also took all that stupid pinstripe off and took off all the badges cept for the jeep front and back. Looks a lot cleaner now.

Back