• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking sounds

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clicking sound that sounds like rubbing when turning left from the front right wheel. I have checked for rubbing and nothing is rubbing. I took off the wheel and looked around but to be honest i dont know what im lookin for. Again its only when turing left and nothing when goin straight. Its a 96 with about 3.5 inches of lift and 31's. The sound started on the last wheeling trip when turning left and climbling up a steep embankment(sp). Any ideas about what it could be?

Wheel hub (bearing) probably. Jcak up the front axle on the side the clicking noise is coming from. Place one hand at 12 and the other hand 6 on the tire where the noise is coming from. Try to rock the tire by pushing at the top and pulling at the bottom and then vice versa. This doesn't require a lot of effort and you don't need to try and wiggle it fast. You are feeling for movement in the hub (where the wheel attaches to the axle). If there is looseness (or a rocking) then you hub is prolly shot.

Could be the axle u-joint. It's pretty damn tough to diagnose noises without hearing them.

Back