• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel swap

tufftaco2k4

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to ditch the airbag on my 96 so I went to the pick and pull and got a pre-airbag wheel out of a early 90's xj. Im having a hard time tryin to get it to work. I guess its the difference in the old and newer style steering columns. Has anyone done this swap and can give me some pointers or link me to a page for some help.

I am not even sure that Grant makes a wheel that will fit it. The only thing I have seen for those trucks is a beauty ring that goes on the outside.

wolfpackjeeper said:
I am not even sure that Grant makes a wheel that will fit it. The only thing I have seen for those trucks is a beauty ring that goes on the outside.

thats about all you are gonna find since the airbag is a federally mandated safety item. the entire steering column is designed to work with the airbag system.

ive seen pics of a 96 that has a grant wheel....i guess they ditch the clock spring thing and mount a button on the dash for the horn. its gonna be a 95% trail rig so i dont want the airbag to go off in my face as i have seen some of them to do. its my jeep not the governments and ill be the only one driving it. oh and im gonna go buy a steering wheel and adapter for a 95 tomorrow...ill give a update on if it works or not and what had to be sacrificed for it to work.

update on the swap. i sucked it up and went to advanced and got the cheapest grant wheel and the install kit. it works but you have to ditch the clock spring, that means relocating a horn button on the dash and having to turn your signals off yourself.

I just removed my air bags and made a box to cover the gapping hole in the center of it. It houses my horn and cruise control.

Back